My oops box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awJCKDup

Reaction score
So everyone has an oops box---er I mean a "prototype" box. Here's mine, I've only built five engines, and the box only contains the parts that were placed in the box. Some parts, after being air mailed to some other part of the shop may not have been retrieved.

oopsbox.jpg

rod.jpg

I was this far along on the rod when I realized I meant to slit the big end and add bolts before contouring.

bentcrank1.jpg

First attempt at "tiny" crankshaft---stopped lathe with tool still in contact, when lathe was restarted, this is what I got---would have loved to see the look on my face.

bentcrank2.jpg

Made it a little further on the second attempt, forgot to put in a spacer block.

flywheel.jpg

This was the first flywheel for my just completed stirling, it came out pretty good-----except the diameter was off by over an inch. In my defence I had been having some serious neck problems and was on some strong pain killers---I suppose the label says to not run machinery for a reason.
Well those are a few of my dirty little secrets----but hey I'm just getting started---contemplating a self designed V4--- so, I may need a bigger box!

John

Airmail... Express Airmail even... That's where my little Micro 100 carbide boring bar went after I cranked the handwheel the wrong way and snapped it off... I won't repeat the commentary I made at the time...

Sigh.

I thought I was the only one who did that. Gee, now I feel better. Dave

Some things go directly to the garbage can, some have usable metal that can be salvaged for something else and some mistakes are parts for that, as yet, un-designed engine. That is too nice a flywheel to throw out, so save it for another engine

I have never heard of an "oops box".

I have only stock boxes.

Stock-1.jpg

Pay NO ATTENTION to the stock in those boxes that appear to be partially
completed engine parts....

Corrosion can create unusual forms and shapes...
:hDe:

Rick

That's a nifty-looking flywheel. Perhaps its a Sign that you are meant to build an engine to fit it.

Of course, I can't use that rationale for the seven unusable rocker arms I made before I got two good ones. ::)

But they aren't scrap! They are "learning experiences." And given the number and variety of them I have, I ought to be a genius by now. But something must have interfered....

Latest posts

Back