my gov

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Artrans

Tried opening the file but unable to do so, Could you save it as a .DXF file as i believe thats more common to other types of CAD program.

Kind regards

Malcolm

I will try this is new ground I am trying to break here

Artrans,

A good 1st effort for a CAD learner. :bow:

I had hells own job coming to grips with CAD and my 1st attempts were no where near as good as yours. I was on the point of giving up and literally going back to the drawing board.

What saved me from this was a book called "CAD for Model Engineers" by DAG Brown. It's in the workshop practice series as No. 29. It's less than 100 pages and IMHO it's an invaluable aid to getting started with CAD.

Its available from www.myhobbystore.com in the UK. for around $US14 + postage.

Best Regards
Bob

That's a good one, Maryak!

I tried to learn 3 or 4 CAD programs over the years, and gave up each time. It just seemed like soooo much work when I just wanted a quick and easy drawing. Seemed like Autocad was the worst about making me do things that didn't seem to help.

This was ironic as I paid part of my way through college as a computer scientist by doing consulting work for several large CAD companies. I rewrote several of their innards to make them work on new computers, but I was not proficient on the software myself!

That was before I had this crazy machine hobby, so it was ok to give up. But after taking up the hobby I just had to be able to do drawings, so it was time to buckle down. Fortunately this time around I actually enjoyed learning the program I tried (it was Rhino3D) and got reasonably proficient (enough to do a drawing that helped me on a project) after about 3 or 4 evenings of futzing with it.

Artrans, you look like you're off to a great start. More power to you!

I have found CAD really helps me a lot.

Best,

BW

thank you for the info and the kind words and bob thank you i have been to your web site and it is one of the nicest I have seen and your shop is also great nice and neat another thing I can in proof on And your projects are all professional and neat something to be proud of
get job. The problem with cad besides the whole think is there are a lot out there and
I guess some are more easy then others but the trial down loads leaves out a lot so to make a judgement in 30 days with limited aspects working is diffcult at best. and to just buy one outright they are two expensive. I have bob cad I bought for 500 dollars so I guess I will have to suck it up and learn on that I suppose they are all similar anyway. But I still think that someone that can write programs can do a cad for hobbyist that would be a lot more user friendly but I guess the cost to make it out weighs the demand. anyway thanks again

I've seen a lot of folks do great work with BobCAD, so you'll do well.

Now are you gonna build that governor?

Those things are so cool!

Best,

BW

Artrans

Now I'm jealous... I've been faffing around with a couple of different versions of CAD for a while and have not got anywhere near a complete drawing yet. (Sure is a good thing that I haven't thrown out the drawing board yet.)

Congrats! :bow:

Joe

Latest posts

Back