My free surface plate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90LX_Notch

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I was at a swap meet Saturday and got this 12x18x4 surface plate for free. Earlier in the day the vendor was unloading his truck and I asked if he had any machinist tools. He said he had them at home and could bring them the next day. I told him I lived two hours away and that I was only there for that day. I proceeded along on my merry way to see what else was at the swap meet. A few hours later I was heading back to my car and was passing the same vendor's area. He yelled out to me "Hey aren't you the machinist guy. You can have that surface plate." I don't think he thought that I would take it. I'm only 5'4" and wear loose fitting clothes; I also had long sleeves on. Little did he know that back in my youth I was a nationally ranked powerlifter. I walked over and picked it up and walked off with it. I heard the people he was talking to kinda laugh and say "whoa".

Needles to say I'm not in the shape I was in my earlier days. I noticed the distance covered in between rest periods to the car got shorter and shorter. Basically cut in half each time I started to carry it. But, I got it home.

DSCN0352.JPG

It's funny how iron and granite get heavier with age isn't it! ;D

I know IVE noticed it anyway!

Great Score Bob!

Dave

Nice :) You earned yourself about 83 pounds of granite there!

It's just under 100 lbs. It weighed 97 lbs on our bathroom scale. It is four inches thick and does not have ledges. I wish it had the ledges because it would have made it easier to carry it the near 1/8 mile back to the car. At 45 years old; I'm getting to old for this kind of stuff! Twenty years ago I probably could have gotten it to the car in one or to carries; not, the ten or so it took me. It sucks getting old.

Even with the hauling it's still a nice find and the price was perfect!! At our swap meet we let purchasers drive their cars to the vendor for heavier items though :big:

HaHaH good job!
Thats the size I ordered from Enco when the had free shipping on them unfortunatly the first one to arrive the corner was busted off. I called and they shipped another at no cost and that one showed up in good condition. So now i have a good one and one with part of the corner missing but still useable. Yes I carried mine a ways and yes the rest stopps got more frequent as I went. :big: :big:

Nice find, Bob. You did have to work for it, but that's not as bad as prying open the ol' wallet! ; )

Yeah Dean it was work but well worth the price. Now I just have to clear a spot and get it up on the bench. What I really need to do is a reorganization of the shop.

90LX_Notch said:
Yeah Dean it was work but well worth the price. Now I just have to clear a spot and get it up on the bench. What I really need to do is a reorganization of the shop.

yeah! don't we all! :big:

Dave

Latest posts

Back