My Diamond Tool Holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful not to get the cutter too hot when grinding. This can weaken the point and make it easy to break. I water grind them and have had no problems with breakage, although some materials (bronze being one) will dull the point fairly fast.

Steve

I found a couple problems. I had got the cutter too hot when grinding and #2 the angle was 55 degrees. I reground to 30 and that made a huge difference in the tip not breaking

I have been messing around with my diamond tool holder. I like using it, but I am getting a poor surface finish. It looks like the metal is torn off, but I get nice long curly chips as I am cutting. I have played with feeds and speeds as well as material. The finish is smooth, just not nice to look at like a finely cut thread finish would be. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am looking for Enco tool holders like the one in the photo.

Bmyers
It takes a bit of practice to get the feel for the tool. The cut going toward the chuck will be ragged as the dickens, but you should be getting a nice slick finish going to the tails stock. The long curler is definitely something this tool does almost too well. My first one cut a tight spiral the size of a pencil lead. It's less of a problem with this one, which leads me to think the 15° /15° cutter angle is working in my favor. The previous tool was built with the 12°/12° placement that John Moran mentioned.

Keep in mind you can vary the cut a bit by rotating the tool on the tool post for a different angle of attack. The thread effect is probably a feed and speed issue. Slower feed or higher speed might have a positive effect. It has here from time to time.

Nice work on the tool, guy!!

Steve

Cedge, I need to ask you a little favor. could you possibly show a photo of your Diamond tool holder with view strait down from the top? I'd just like to get a little better grasp of the angles. I want to make one and need all the help you are willing to give ;)
Thanks Mel

Mel
I'll try to get to that tomorrow, along with the grinding fixture.

Steve

Mel
It's a little late in the day, but I got photos for you.... along with some showing the tool grinding jig.

Steve

diamond-angle1.jpg

diamond-angle2.jpg

diamond-angle3.jpg

diamond-angle4.jpg

diamond-angle5.jpg

diamond-jig1.jpg

diamond-jig2.jpg

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :bow: now there is no excuse for me or any one else to not build one. It's what I thought, but just had to know for sure. About the same as my round one, only square. It will be good to have both.
Thanks one more time :big:
Mel

Mel
You're more than welcome. I hope the photos got you off in the right direction.

Steve

Cedge nice thread/post on the diamond/tangential lathe tool holder

How many other people have made their own unit ?

cheers

FPV_GTp said:
Cedge nice thread/post on the diamond/tangential lathe tool holder

How many other people have made their own unit ?

cheers

Here's mine. I went with a solid design, broaching a 5/16" square hole for the tool and securing it with a button head capscrew through the tailstock side of the tool holder. I will get better pics of it tomorrow.

tang1.jpg

And the grinding fixture.

tangfixt.jpg

I have a 7x12 and I run without the compound. The solid plinth gives much better rigidity. I do a lot of parting and the compound just mucks it up for me. :mad:

I made mine from Ralph Patterson's drawing (attached), modified/scaled to replace the compund on my lathe. It's very rigid and provides a wonderful finish, both turning and facing, especially if I hone the cutter after sharpening.

View attachment Diamond toolholder.doc

websterz said:
And the grinding fixture.

tangfixt.jpg

I like the grinding fixture! It looks like it can be used either way round. Are the base angles equal, or different to enable different angles to be put on the toolbit?

I've made two of the toolholders - for different sized lathes. Can't take pictures at the moment, 'cause I'm out in Saudi for another month.

Dave
Saudi-Arabia-On-Sea

Actually the orientation it is sitting in there is for 30 degree grinding. The other angle is a leftover feature from the material's former life as a milling jig. It was the only suitable material I had on hand at the time. ;D

I need to drill the base and add a mounting plate so I can use the fixture on my surface grinder...just been too busy lately.

I FINALLY have all the components on hand to complete my rotary phase converter and get the surface grinder running. Tomorrow is going to be a very exciting day for me!

Here's another idea for an easily made bit grinding guide if you use tangential/diamond bits:

grinding tool.JPG

I know this thread is old, but I'm trying to formulate a plan for making this jig and the tangent tool holder for my 7x standard tool post. Does anyone know the angles of the slot?
I think I can make it using the big vise set at one angle, holding the work piece in a smaller vise in the big vise, clamped at the other angle.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back