MT2 tooling options?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Following on from the Clausing mill questions...

I have been moving my tooling over to the mill.
It has a MT2 in the spindle.
So far I have ordered a MT2 to ER-25 adapter, I have a full set of collets.
This is fine for mills, drills and reamers.

What I am having some difficulty with is finding any other tooling.
I have some R8 tooling for the Sieg, but cannot use it with the Clausing.

What I need is a fly cutter or a face mill and a boring head.
For the fly cutter I could use the 1/2 inch straight shank ones.
This is the only option I can see that would work with either the MT2 collets or the ER-25 collets.

I do not have any ideas on the boring head though...

Any ideas or tips from people that have MT2 mills would be great!!

Andrew

Andrew,
There actually is a Criterion ER boring head system where the shaft of the boring head is an ER Collet size. It fits directly into the ER collet holder as if it were a collet. I suspect it is very expensive. Or you can use a straight-shaft boring head, say 1/2", and hold it with an ER-25 collet.

Here are some pics of my boring head (old style, conventional) in Er Collet Holder

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Morse tapers are fairly easy to turn on a lathe... you can always make some of the simpler tools yourself, like fly cutters, or you can thread one for a boring head.

I think your MT2 to ER tool should cover 90% of what you want to do. In fact, depending upon the cost, it might be worthwhile to pick up one or two more of them.

When I finally purchased my 2" boring head., I got both R8 and MT2 arbors for it so I could use it on my R8 X2 mill and in the tail stock of my MicroMark 7x14 lathe. I do believe you can get straight shank arbors for them also. A straight shank arbor shouldn't be too difficult to make, either.

Chuck

Bezalel said:

I got one of these a while back and the biggest problem with it is that a lot of headroom is lost under the head. There is also a lot of free play in the adjusting screw. It sits unloved on the shelf, but it was cheap. I still use my 20 year old GHT home made boring head in preference. If I come up on the Premium Bonds I will treat myself to an Arrand boring head.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks for all the options and ideas! ;D

I found a nice Glanze MT2 insert face mill that works well.
Also a set of 1/2" flycutters, not the best quality but they will do for now.

Will have to think about the boring head options available.

Andrew

steamdave said:
There is also a lot of free play in the adjusting screw.
Dave

Aaah - Yeah, I forgot all about that bit -

Thanks Dave,

I recall now, I honed up a thrust washer to eliminate that - If I can find the photos I'll try to post them in this thread.

Bez

Hi,i have a flycutter with MT2 which i sleeve up to MT3 used it many times with a drawbar
readily available and cheap to buy BAZMAK

Back