Moving Steady

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max corrigan

Reaction score
From a total novice turner (of a sort) a dummy question! what is the correct method of setting a moving steady? do you set the cutting tool in the middle of the steady inserts mine being about a 1/4" wide which means you have a groove when the cuts starts and would have to adjust the inserts again after stopping the lathe and spoiling the finish!
it seems to me where ever you set cutting tool at the front of the steady supports or behind, you get a slight shoulder problem, at one or the other end, of the piece you are turning
I am probably missing the blinding obvious here, but would appreciate your knowledgable answers :-\
Max..............

I set a follow rest just forward of the tool position.
If it is too far back chip will be pulled through it.
That never gives a positive result.

Rick

If the material is clean and true you can set the rest in front of the tool.
If not you set the rest behind the tool. by this I mean no more than .015 behind, or as close as you can. Some lathes have square or roller guides, they work well, lots of lathes have round guides... they are more of an issue.
I have also turned a small section, just enough to get the work to pass the tool and touch guides so I could set the guides behind the tool.
Some guys chamfer the end of the bar and set the tool and the guides almost at the same place (guides just behind).
Chips getting pulled into the rest can be a problem but, that is what chip control is all about. Most of the machines I have used have flood coolant and that helps.

Like one of the old turret guys told me, "there is a best way, just not an only way."

play around and good luck.

Thanks Rick and hunting guy for your answers to my query, i have taken note of both answers, and was already thinking of tapering the steady inserts, they seem too wide at about a 1/4"that way i could get closer opposite or slightly ahead of the cutting tool without running onto the shoulder if you can see what i mean! difficult to explain
Thanks again Max..........

>>>Thanks Rick and hunting guy for your answers to my query, i have taken note of both answers, and was already thinking of tapering the steady inserts, they seem too wide at about a 1/4"that way i could get closer opposite or slightly ahead of the cutting tool without running onto the shoulder if you can see what i mean! difficult to explain
Thanks again Max..........

Many guys consider the steady inserts expendable. You modify them to suit the job at hand.

Latest posts

Back