Morse taper MT2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimoletti

Reaction score
I would like to know your opinion about following question:

I would like to use a morse taper MT2 on my milling for increasing the rigidity especially in roughing. Infact with it I could keeping the axis Z more low. I would like to know if there are contraindications.

Thanks Massimo.

First of all, what is the Taper now? What mill do you have? More info is needed.

"Bill Gruby"

I have a Wabeco F1210. The morse taper sleeve is introduced directly into the main spindle. This is a morse taper MT2:

Ridimensiona di13001_0.jpg

Do you mean you would like to use a Morse taper collet to hold an end mill directly, rather than use a milling chuck? If so, I do it most of the time and have no problems with it.

I was unfamiliar with your Mill so I googled it. You have a Morse taper 2 Spindle. There will be no problems with what you want to do. As Tel said it is SOP. (Standard Operating Procedure)

"Bill Griby"

As others have said, there are no big problems for this. There are a couple of points to note, however.

First, a Morse collet will grip only the size written on it - so for a 12mm shank cutter, you need a 12mm collet. This is opposite to the ER system, which has quite a wide range of size over which it will grip.

Second, the Morse taper is not self-releasing and can stick if done up too tight. Have a plan in your mind before you start for removing the collet that does not involve hitting the drawbar hard with a hammer.

djc said:
Second, the Morse taper is not self-releasing and can stick if done up too tight. Have a plan in your mind before you start for removing the collet that does not involve hitting the drawbar hard with a hammer.
Always use a brass (or soft) hammer and only loosen the drawbar about ONE turn before
taping it to release the taper. That way nearly all the threads are engaged and distribute the force to avoid "buggering" the threads.
...lew...

Thanks for your answers, fortunately my milling have a ejection system. Usually I use a collet chuck. I would like to use a morse taper sleeve for keeping axis Z more low for increase the rigidity of my machine.

I use the copper end of a copper and hide Mallet for knocking the drawbar out. I must look at retrofitting an ejector some time ...

Vic.

Latest posts

Back