Moriya Stirling Fan variant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I'm following the plans in Steam and Stirling for the more critical dimension for the pistons, cylinder, rods etc but everything else if fair game for change. It's been pretty hot lately and that makes the basement shop a good place to hang out even on a sunny day.

P1010904 (Large).JPG

P1010936 (Large).JPG

P1020047 (Large).JPG

P1020047 (Large).JPG

That's going to be pretty! Nice work on the base and legs.

Dean

Dave,

Beautiful work on the base and legs.

Best Regards
Bob

It looks really sharp!

I have the same book and also would like to build this fan.

Thanks for the motivation.

Crank mostly complete - round peg in square hole.

The crank bearings are skateboard bearings - expensive little chaps but the feel completely frictionless. ( I also used these to make a wheel balancer for my motorcycle wheels - they just never want to stop turning.) The rod bearing is from a router bit, purchased at my local fine woodworking tool store.

Power cylinder retainer now also made and in place awaiting the cylinder.

P1020091 (Large).JPG

P1020087 (Large).JPG

P1020104 (Large).JPG

P1020109 (Large).JPG

P1020109 (Large).JPG

Power side crank and bearing completed

Power cylinder almost completed - need to remove machine marks from inside the cylinder and polish

Power piston connecting rod - first side machined

Power piston connecting rod - second side machined

P1020121 (Large).JPG

P1020129 (Large).JPG

P1020129 (Large).JPG

P1020132 (Large).JPG

P1020132 (Large).JPG

Cutting the power connecting rod. Eventually, I may have to replace it with something a bit lighter.

Cold end cylinder complete

I decided that I didn't like the old uprights. Partly just the look and partly from reading Jerry Howell's web site about the importance of lots of cooling air. This should breath a little better.

Cap on cold end just finished along with brass gland.

Bearings are lovely on this - from the local skateboard shop. Just spin the fan and it never wants to stop.

Still have lots of wet sanding to do as you can tell by the rough looking edges. And, I'm reading more and learning a lot about mistakes made on past projects.

P1020263 (Large).JPG

P1020263 (Large).JPG

P1020354 (Large).JPG

P1020354 (Large).JPG

P1020364 (Large).JPG

P1020364 (Large).JPG

P1020385 (Large).JPG

P1020385 (Large).JPG

Very nice workmanship David. Thm:
I built a 1/2 scale Moriya many years ago. It ran fairly well considering my crude workmanship on it. Some day I would like to build another one and make it look pretty like yours.
Gail in NM

wow , great looking Stirling , im going to have to get a copy of this book. real nice

Looks great David.
I'm starting to suffer from 'wanna do that project' overload.

Pictures show :

- Hot end cylinder

- Graphite power piston & connecting rod

- Underside of graphite power piston. I added a washer after taking this picture.

- Displacer connecting rod and bearing ( a Canadian penny is the same size as a U.S. penny placed for size reference. )

All parts are now made but requires final fitting, resizing a bit of the crankshaft ( a ten minute job on the lathe ) and the final wet sanding, polishing and maybe a bit or anodizing to add some colour.

P1020539 (Large).JPG

P1020686 (Large).JPG

P1020686 (Large).JPG

P1020690 (Large).JPG

P1020690 (Large).JPG

P1020705 (Large).JPG

All the parts are made, I have compression and it's friction free but won't run yet. Probably an air leak but there will be lots of things to double check in the next few days.

P1020734 (Large).JPG

P1020734 (Large).JPG

Reactions: xjs
Well, I finally got it running. After being side tracked by numerous other projects, bike rides, etc, I ran out of excuses and got down to brass tacks. It really took a long time and persistence as so many of you have also found, especially on a first engine. I learned a number of things including ensuring that everything was air tight and the importance of the dimensions on the hot cap - especially the thickness of the bottom. Those two things alone made the difference between not running and running. As soon as I figure out how to shrink the size of my mpg4 video files, I'll try to post something on Youtube.

I just about gave up but getting it running has encouraged me to build another one now that I know where the devils are ( in the details, as usual ). I've started a double size Moriya with encouragement and ideas from Orrin Iseminger whose double sized Moriya is also here on the forum.

Awesome stuff David!!!! ;D

Excellent build and great pictures!

How did you do the lettering on it?
CNC?

Not sure how i missed this post...
But i am very keen to see the video of it running!!! ;D
I have the plans too and it is on my very long to do list!!!

Andrew

lazylathe said:
Awesome stuff David!!!! ;D

Excellent build and great pictures!

How did you do the lettering on it?
CNC?

Not sure how i missed this post...
But i am very keen to see the video of it running!!! ;D
I have the plans too and it is on my very long to do list!!!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I CNC'd the lettering along with all of the flat parts.

Back