Model Engine Builder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly enough, I too prefer paper magazines but there are a few major advantages to a digital magazine done properly. I refer to one where you can download the file, not have to read it on a Website.

In the PDF format, there are a number of advantages over the printed word:

• Follow embedded links to other sources of information
  • Highlight a word and right-click and you can retrieve a definition of the word
  • You can search for a word or string of words
  • 3D PDFs allow you to move around the model, cut cross-sections and move them through any plane including diagonals, change colors of parts or hide parts to disc lose detail behind them.
  • Zoom in on pictures and diagrams

There are more advantages to PDFs such as there is no budgetary limit to magazine size so I can put in pictures that would not appear in a printed magazine.

The magazine now costs the same whether you are next door or any place in the world because the postage doesn't exceed the cost of printing the magazine anymore. Delivery is much faster too.

Because the file is easy to transfer, if you ever lose a file, we will send you another copy at no additional cost.

If you have paper issues and want them in digital format, we will send those files to you. We just ask that you not transfer the paper issues to someone else unless you are selling or giving away the issue and giving the recipient the digital files as well.

I read my copies on a Nook Color or an Android Tablet. PDF reader software is available free for most tablets from Adobe. I can read the magazine in very poor or no light and I can carry all the issues with me in the small package of the tablet.

Note: not all PDF readers are made equal and most if not all of the non-adobe versions will not read 3D PDFs.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who ever subscribed.

Mike Rehmus

Mike & Toni Rehmus were kind enough to send me a free trial pdf issue of Model Engine Builder. Thanks, Mike & Toni, I really appreciate that.

I looked through it once, and liked what I saw, but now it's just sitting somewhere on my hard drive. I can see Mike's points about the digital version, but I just like paper. I could print it myself, but that is pretty expensive and just not the same.

I get a few other magazines that come both in print and as a digital edition, and I never look at the digital version. If they went digital only, I'd probably drop my subscriptions.

The times they are a-changin'... Great, now that song is in my head... I don't even like Bob Dylan! :wall:
Chris

I download it onto my iPad, but I'm just not happy with digital magazines, I won't renew my subscription when it becomes due. I also download other magazines for free from my local library, but I barely look at them. I still prefer the printed version.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

By now we have a mountain of same magazines. Still prefer solid print in my hands.

Latest posts

Back