MLA-17 Model Diesel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadecy

Reaction score
This is my first machining project. I've been told it was a pretty aggressive project for someone who had never used a lathe or mill before. I've always been pretty mechanically inclined and have done other non-machining projects so I did have some prior knowledge to pull from even though it was not machining.

The MLA-17 is a model diesel designed by Andy Lofquist (Metal Lathe Accessories). His plans and instruction book are very nice. No castings which is what I was looking for in a first-time engine. I made some pretty nice looking wrong-sized parts while building this engine. It runs pretty good too. Ther are a couple vidoe clips in the album I linked here.

My current project is a Hoglet V-twin that is in recent magazine issues. That one is going to take me a while. :)

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/mla_17/

141_4107_small.jpg

For a first project, you did a marvelous job. That is a very nice looking engine.

Keep us up to date on the Hoglet project. With the results on your diesel, I am sure it will be a very nice model when you are done.

BTW, welcome to the site. Feel free to kick up your feet and make yourself at home!

Another welcome,

Very nice workmanship. How long did it take you?

Kenny

first off........welcome to the best model group on the web!! (IMHO) ;D

now for a first engine you have done an outstanding job if i ever build a diesel i will be emailing you for help!!
can't wait for pics of your next engine!!

chuck

Jadecy, nice job and good looking finish one that model. I can relate to the wrong-sized parts. I did a couple on my Siamese Twin I am about finished with. If you look closely at the valve rods and the valve you will see what I mean if you look at the plans. I did come up with a work around so I could use the parts I had made (not exactly according to the plans)....:)))) ;D

Very Well Done Jadecy!

Welcome to HMEM.

Rick

Back