Mitutoyo Mics "Stuck"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinamark

Reaction score
I have a set of mitutoyo 0-1" mics that are frozen. I've tried using the spanner wrench to gets things moving with no luck.
Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Thanks,
Mark

Put it in a tin of sewing machine oil for a week or so then try it, also.............. Is the spindle lock OFF

Best Regards
Bob

Spindle lock IS off........checked it several times. I thought about soaking but wasn't sure.

In the 3-1 they go.

Thanks for the help!

Are you sure the lock is not broken or over adjusted?

MicLockLever.jpg

After removing the lever screw and lever you will see the brass lock.

BrassLockInMic.jpg

It is threaded into the mic frame and should screw out easily. It should have a spring
washer under it and may or may not have a friction disk under it.

LockandSpringWasher.jpg

My mic does not have a friction disk in it, but I have seen those friction disks wear down
to the point where they would wedge between the barrel and spindle.

If the lock comes out in one piece and the mic still will not move, it would have to be the threads
that are stuck. Gentle heat on the mic barrel may help. Don't warm the thimble, that would make it
tighter.

MicThreads.jpg

Rick

Can't stand the suspense. How did you unstick them?
Best
Stan

I soaked them in 3-in-1 oil for about a week. Then I checked the locking mechanism and it was OK.
They were still locked up......as a last ditch effort I turned the spindle with a pair of channel locks.
It didn't take much force and they started turning. I don't think this would have worked had I not soaked them in oil.

Ya gotta love 3 in 1, right up there with duct tape and JB Weld :big: Glad you got them un-stuck though Mark.

Bill

Back