Misplaced part

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbolin

Reaction score
Two days ago I had just finish a long drawn-out, multi-day, session on a new part for my lathe restoration. You know the kind with multiple setups that never seem to go right. Four different setups and one part redesign later I finally had the part finished. I had to shorten up some screws so I set the part aside to work on those. Measure the screw depth, chuck in the lather, cut with the Dremol, clean up the burrs, Now, I'm finally ready to put the lathe back together but I can't find the new part! Though I had dropped it on the floor so I swept the floor, nothing. Time to bite the bullet and clean all the built-up swarf from the lathe chip pan, slowly as to not through away the part, nothing ??? Ok, now get serious and get the flashlight ( batteries empty do a trip upstairs, ) get down on my hands and knees and search under all the cabinets and shelves, still nothing :mad: Now it's getting late and I'm sliding into a real bad place. Well, maybe it rolled under something on the layout bench. So, clean and organize the layout bench, put all the miscellaneous parts into boxes sorted by project. ( nowhere to put said boxes but that's another problem to be dealt with later.) Still nothing :redface2: Now it's past late and I am making no headway so I go to bed thinking all the time about the steps I need to make another part.

I wake up in the middle of the night with the sudden realization that I left the part soaking in a cup of solvent that's right out in plain sight :Doh:

Thanks, :bow:

It's great to know I'm not alone. :big:

Best Regards
Bob

Nothing will top this!

Yesterday I lost the key to my new chuck. I looked every where, and for about a half hour! I thought I would go insane! I gave up and said the hell with it, it'll turn up eventually.

A little later I went up to get another cup of coffee. It was already cold, so I poured a cup to put in the microwave. When I opened the door there it was, sitting in the microwave oven!!!

Talk about being preoccupied, or maybe I'm already insane! :big:

-MB

Now that's one clever gremlin! Maybe your gremlins are trying to tell you they need more offerings of hot buns?

Rick sounds like me, putting corn flakes in the fridge, and the milk in the cupboard. Bad news in the summertime...

I seem to find most of my lost parts in the shop vac.

Dean

starbolin, look on the bright side, The part will be clean and if you are like me you will have a much need clean up.

Metal Butcher, Was the key cooked to your liking? ;D ;D

Thanks guys I needed a good laugh. :big: :big:

I just finished writing about my new lathe, when I hit the post button it disappeared. :mad: :mad:

wm460 said:
I just finished writing about my new lathe, when I hit the post button it disappeared. :mad: :mad:

That has happened to me so many times on different forums. I'm much more likely to type my posts into Notepad now. I just lost an answer I wrote to someone on the Q&A forum because I hit Preview instead of Post and then walked away from the computer. I hope his life won't be sorely disadvantaged besause of the lack of that little titbit of my infinite wisdom ;)

For this not to happen, before I click post, usually I select all the text and copy it. If something goes wrong I just paste it back again. ;)

Many years ago, I did a valve job on my aunt's car. I was just torquing down the cam when a buddy of mine who was an NHRA track mechanic dropped by. We finished off closing off everything and backed the car out of the garage to refill the radiator. Another friend of mine who was a master diesel mechanic and auto mechanics teacher at a community college shows up.

We go to fire it up and, rrrrr-rrrrr-rrrrr -- nothing. Oh God! I must have put the camshaft in 180° out! We rip it apart and check, yup, everything's fine. We try this, we try that, and still, rrrr-rrrr-rrrr -- nothing.

The neighbor kid, about 10 years old, had come by to watch us work. He reached into the wheel well panel and picks up the rotor -- and asks, "Does this go somewhere?"

When I was a kid, my Dad's anti theft solution was always to remove the rotor arm from our cars distributor when parked in a public place.

These days I'm not even game to lift the bonnet even though under all that mass of plastic I know there's an engine somewhere.

Best Regards
Bob

wm460 said:

Usually hitting the back button in the browser will bring the text back. This depends on the forum software though.

Latest posts

Back