Minnie build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindo

Lindo
Reaction score
I am just starting to read the book on constructing the "minnie" by C Mason.
excellent details with tips a tricks.This man was an expert.
I have a problem in that i have never built a traction engine before,but built
large model boats.The nomenclature of boat architecture which is vast is not a problem to me,but traction engine nomenclature is new.
Is there an available list to accurately describe for example a hornplate (I do know what that is I think).Throat plate,crown stays etc.
front backplate .
The mechanical side of the build I can work out and machine the parts,
no problems there.
Thanks in advance
John
Spain

Be aware that as drawn you can't fit the cylinder onto Julius's boiler, if you started by building that as drawn you would have to scrap the boiler.

I have made David Carpenter aware and he has passed this on to Julius

Many thanks Jason,interesting and very informative drawings.
can I ask why boiler is not interchangeable?
or maybe I am jumping the gun at this early stage of build.

John

Julius's boiler drawing shows the cylinder and motion plate bolts inserted from inside the boiler. If this is done at the time the boiler is made it will not be possible to place the cylinder onto the boiler due to the radial layout of the bolts.

It was done that way on full size engines using special "carrot head" bolts that were inserted from inside as the boiler had an access hole known as the "manhole" that the young apprentice used to gain access.

On the Minnie the reinforcing plates should be retained by 1 or 2 copper rivits and silver soldered to the barrel early on. You can then use the completed cylinder as a guide to drill and tap the boiler and use studs & nuts or bolts from the outside.

J

salut
metal89 j'ai telechargé les plans Thm:mais je ne vois pas le plan de detail des roues arriere

--> gg89220
GG said : plans downloaded but there are no wheels plans

to GG : I think that the drawing work is not completed . There are plans to come yet ...I hope
(les plans ne sont pas tous réalisés, il devraient arriver, je pense.)

Patrick

Thanks Jason and group.

Fully understand the reasons,many thanks for the upfront info.
I will take a look at drawings in the morning.
Best to adopt plan A that's C Mason's route.
Although I prefer to work in metric,Imperial is no problem having been involved in engineering in the USA for 25 years.
I still like the Solidworks 3D approach,certainly makes it easier for a novice
on traction engines like me to digest.
Thanks
John

Latest posts

Back