miniature faceplate/indexing table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
While roaming the halls of the Internet today I was at the HSM site, and a gentleman there has posted very neat and useful tool he has made. It's a miniature faceplate/indexing table. Looks like something that people who make small parts could use. (Any one know who that would be?)
Take a look
Mel

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=25318

Nice little piece of work. He'd increase its usefulness if he added one row of 60 holes as wellas one with 50 and a third with 40. You can index quite a number of combinations with those numbers. One more tool added onto my to do list...LOL

Steve

Marv does some very impressive model building as well.

He helped me get a depressed retired machinist back on his feet and back
into his hobby shop by sending me plans for one of his projects.

He has pictures of some of his model work on the
SCHSM site.

He's helped and inspired me in the model building hobby.

Rick

Cedge said:
Nice little piece of work. He'd increase its usefulness if he added one row of 60 holes as wellas one with 50 and a third with 40. You can index quite a number of combinations with those numbers. One more tool added onto my to do list...LOL

Steve

As built, the table has 24 holes so indexing every 15 degrees is possible. That handles virtually all the work I do with this tool.

What I should have done is drilled 15 holes in the table and 16 holes in the base that supports it. Since

1/15 - 1/16 = 1/(15*16) = 1/240

that would have permitted indexing every 1.5 degrees for a time investment of drilling only 31 holes (i.e., 7 more holes than the 24 I did drill).

Design of such differential indexing schemes can be done using the program available in the VERNIER.ZIP archive on my webpage.

It's all academic now since I have a Spindex and a rotary table but the table and the C5 collet holder that fit the same base are still very useful for quickie jobs.

Latest posts

Back