Miniature belt sander

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what these things are properly called. They are a rather miniature belt sander with sanding belts about 3/8" wide and are hand held. The belt, belt support, and I suppose nose roller (if it has one) extend about 6" out past the body, and are used for finishing in hard to reach areas. The ones I have seen are pneumatic, but I'm sure there must be electric ones available. I have seen prices on the net ranging from lows of $70 to highs of $400 plus. I would like to buy one that is electric not pneumatic, in about the $100 range. Does anyone know of such a device and where it might be found/purchased. I have checked BusyBee Tools, Princess Auto, LittleMachineShop, and Canadian Tire with no success.---Brian

if this is what your looking for, here's the link
I think I got mine from home depot

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/PF260.aspx
where to buy
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Where-To-Buy.aspx

DSCF1669.jpg

DSCF1670.jpg

Thanks Luc--Have you had any problem with the front wheel on yours? The product reviews have 2 out of 3 people saying the front wheel fell of their sanders.

$20 pneumatic.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-belt-sander-97055.html

the makita 9032 is electric and will run about $250.

princess Auto sale flyer had a couple in the $50 -$75 old sale flyer pneumatic.

You may have to up the budget for electric or settle for pneumatic.
I would expect these to be used in auto body shops aircraft shops and for die finishing.
Tin

Thanks Luc--Have you had any problem with the front wheel on yours? The product reviews have 2 out of 3 people saying the front wheel fell of their sanders.

Brian, nope never had any problem with it, you know it is some time
people buy these claiming they have a belt sander and over due the task.

it has to be use like a chainsaw if you hit the nose it will kick back:fan:

In company we have a lot of this belt sanders all of them - failed front wheel.
All sanders were rebuilt as Tin described and nobody is complaining .

I used to have kit that would convert a 4" disc grinder to a small belt sand like you describe. It was pretty cheap and worked well, bot I lost some of the parts when I moved several years ago. I'll see if I can find more info on it.

Chuck

Brian, I have the same one Luc has and I have had no problems at all in 3 years and I use it quite a lot on aluminum pieces. The Black and Decker has served me well. Brian;D

I still have the disc grinder/ belt sander and still going strong after 10 years. Not bad for Chinese stuff.

My good wife bought me one of those multi angle flashlights for my birthday yesterday. Heck, I don't even go out after dark any more!!! So----I took it back to "Home Hardware" today and traded it and $15 for a Black and Decker tool the same as Luc showed in post #2

Happy birthday for yesterday Brian. :D

ShopShoe
My Dad has the Harbor Freight version of the sander and so far he has been happy with it for general shop use. I opted for the 1" stationary belt sander for misc tasks.
Brad

Latest posts

Back