Milling practice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mo Dellar

As I read the drawing, I see the radius on the tab end described as a spherical radius which indicates to me that the end of the piece is turned to a ball nose so that when the flats are milled the tab appears to be semicircular. If I'm right, it sure would have save a lot of filing.

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
Mo Dellar

As I read the drawing, I see the radius on the tab end described as a spherical radius which indicates to me that the end of the piece is turned to a ball nose so that when the flats are milled the tab appears to be semicircular. If I'm right, it sure would have save a lot of filing.

Jerry

I think I know what you mean. You would turn a ball nose as you put it on the end of the bar before milling the flats. Probably with a form tool.
I can see that working in production but for me just doing 2 I think filing was quicker. Very interesting though and certainly not something I would have though of even if I was doing a few hundred.

Thanks
Peter

Back