Midlands model exhibition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a short personal view of the Midlands Model Engineering Show 2023. I will start with the positives then negatives followed by comments.

As expected, the show had many trade stands mostly selling small items and materials. None of the machine suppliers were in attendance apart from Myford who were showing one of their new machines. When I say new it was a Super 7B with DRO on all axis including the tail stock (never seen that before!) and a speed control inverter. At first glance I thought it was identical to my 40 year old S7 and in conversation with one of the Myford guys it transpires that the machine is newly made using the original patterns and imperial cap heads as specified in the original manual. The only difference I could see was that the top slide had machined/ground sides which makes clocking very easy when setting angles. I did notice that the bed didn’t seem to be ground as I could see the machining marks from the milling cutter. I also found out that for £500 Myford will “grind” your bed and saddle. The S7 cost around £9k.

There were not many small engine models on display, plenty of boats and several large scale traction engines. My eye very quickly beamed onto a beautiful example of the Allchin Royal Chester which had gained a very well deserved first prize.

RGTools had a massive presence occupying 10 display modules. Myford had 2. Stuart Models had an excellent display of all their models but I didn’t see anyone purchase the many kit boxes stack behind the display.

For me the outstanding event was a lecture on powder coating using the Tribology effect thereby not needing any electronics. The idea was simple using materials costing around £50. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to describe how to make a tribo gun with drawings.

SMEE had, as usual, an excellent stand showing members models. My eye caught a very well made example of the Quorn. SMEE also were demonstrating machining techniques on their Myford and showing off some of George Thomas’s brilliant accessories. As usual the stand was well staffed and very friendly.

Negatives

My first impression on entering the show was the lighting. It was quite dark with very inefficient high level skylights. This made it difficult to look at the models. Most stands had additional lighting but not for the models.

The lecture I attended suffered very badly from external noise due to its location and the sound system was inadequate. The lighting level was high making the projected slides difficult to read.

Comments

I do wonder about the future of these shows. There were tables near the coffee shop and I was able to observe many of the stands in operation as I drank. It was noticeable that there seemed to be little sales activity. Also many of the traders were selling low value items. Considering the cost of the stand and a minimum of 2 staff plus transport and hotels it is difficult to see how their attendance could be justified. I note that Hemmingway decided several years ago to sell on-line only and not attend shows. I haven’t seen Warco at the London shows (pre Covid). RGTools had 2 stands dedicated to measuring kit. I saw no one purchasing.

It was also interesting to note the age profile of attendees. There were a few children (it was a Saturday so no school) but the overall impression was of an ageing attendance with an average age of, in my estimation, 70+.

I do hope these shows survive but they do need better management.
Mike

Hi Andrew
I will prepare some notes on the Tribo setup. I didn't want to be too negative about the event in my write-up but the first thing I noticed was a complete lack of signs to the event including where to park. This wasn't helped by my satnav not recognising the post code. Fortunately I had another satnav in the car but guess what - the stand broke............
I'll email you over the next few days - we have grandchildren here at present and I am teaching my grandson to use the Myford and mill. Last time he was here he did screwcutting, sand blasting and machined the hex onto a nut he made. He is 12
Mike
Hello Mike. Thanks for the kind words regarding my presentation on Powder Coating at MMEE last Saturday. I am happy to email copies of pertinent slides if people contact me. The venue was not good acoustically. My wife and I spent the 30 minutes before lecture time trying to tune and mitigate the sound problems. We invited people to sit in the front rows so they could hear ... but in the end we had a full house. I was highly pleased at the interest shown during the lecture and with the variety and quality of questions asked. I do hope that exhibitions such as this or the London ME show survive and that the Lecture component can be fine tuned to be an excellent part of those shows.
Chris Gabel

This is a short personal view of the Midlands Model Engineering Show 2023. I will start with the positives then negatives followed by comments.

As expected, the show had many trade stands mostly selling small items and materials. None of the machine suppliers were in attendance apart from Myford who were showing one of their new machines. When I say new it was a Super 7B with DRO on all axis including the tail stock (never seen that before!) and a speed control inverter. At first glance I thought it was identical to my 40 year old S7 and in conversation with one of the Myford guys it transpires that the machine is newly made using the original patterns and imperial cap heads as specified in the original manual. The only difference I could see was that the top slide had machined/ground sides which makes clocking very easy when setting angles. I did notice that the bed didn’t seem to be ground as I could see the machining marks from the milling cutter. I also found out that for £500 Myford will “grind” your bed and saddle. The S7 cost around £9k.

There were not many small engine models on display, plenty of boats and several large scale traction engines. My eye very quickly beamed onto a beautiful example of the Allchin Royal Chester which had gained a very well deserved first prize.

RGTools had a massive presence occupying 10 display modules. Myford had 2. Stuart Models had an excellent display of all their models but I didn’t see anyone purchase the many kit boxes stack behind the display.

For me the outstanding event was a lecture on powder coating using the Tribology effect thereby not needing any electronics. The idea was simple using materials costing around £50. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to describe how to make a tribo gun with drawings.

SMEE had, as usual, an excellent stand showing members models. My eye caught a very well made example of the Quorn. SMEE also were demonstrating machining techniques on their Myford and showing off some of George Thomas’s brilliant accessories. As usual the stand was well staffed and very friendly.

Negatives

My first impression on entering the show was the lighting. It was quite dark with very inefficient high level skylights. This made it difficult to look at the models. Most stands had additional lighting but not for the models.

The lecture I attended suffered very badly from external noise due to its location and the sound system was inadequate. The lighting level was high making the projected slides difficult to read.

Comments

I do wonder about the future of these shows. There were tables near the coffee shop and I was able to observe many of the stands in operation as I drank. It was noticeable that there seemed to be little sales activity. Also many of the traders were selling low value items. Considering the cost of the stand and a minimum of 2 staff plus transport and hotels it is difficult to see how their attendance could be justified. I note that Hemmingway decided several years ago to sell on-line only and not attend shows. I haven’t seen Warco at the London shows (pre Covid). RGTools had 2 stands dedicated to measuring kit. I saw no one purchasing.

It was also interesting to note the age profile of attendees. There were a few children (it was a Saturday so no school) but the overall impression was of an ageing attendance with an average age of, in my estimation, 70+.

I do hope these shows survive but they do need better management.
Mike
Hi Mike, I too would like details of the Tribo 'gun'

[email protected]

Cheers ... Kevin

Hi Chris
That is very kind of you. I have produced a set of notes which a few people have asked for. If I had your email I could copy to you and I would be happy to revise any aspects I missed.
Thanks
Mike

Hello Mike.
All of the material in my lecture originally appeared in my article in Model Engineers Workshop August 2019. The article had the same title of " Powder Coating in the Home Workshop" The photos and diagrams were mostly the same although I did cull some for the Powerepoint. If people have a Model Engineers Workshop subscription this can be accessed without charge.
Cheers
Chris Gabel

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 16-47-21 Model Engineers' Workshop - August 2019 Digital Magazine fro...png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 16-47-21 Model Engineers' Workshop - August 2019 Digital Magazine fro...png
    786.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi Chris
That is very kind of you. I have produced a set of notes which a few people have asked for. If I had your email I could copy to you and I would be happy to revise any aspects I missed.
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, Please find attached a copy of my Powder Coating lecture given at MMEE. Although I do have the copyright to this presentation, Im happy to have it shared with anyone for personal non commercial use.
It is such an accessible technology with such rewarding results, that I can imagine that it is relevant to work of many Forum members

Attachments

• Chris Gabel Powder Coating MMEE with notes.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 9
Chris
That is very kind of you to make the talk available. I restricted my notes to those who asked which I thought was ok since it was a public lecture, I acknowledged you and they were my notes.
Thank you again.
Mike

Latest posts

Back