Matte Gold Anodized Finish?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkaustin

Reaction score
I don't remember where I saw it, and I've googled until I'm cross-eyed with no luck.

A builder posted some pictures of some aluminum engine parts that had been bead blasted and then gold anodized. The parts had a beautiful, perfectly uniform satin gold finish that I wish I could duplicate.

Does anyone remember seeing this, and can you steer me to the original post?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe it wasn't an anodized finish at all.

Google up ALODINE

you can also try ALOCROM which is a chemical finish that gives a golden colour.Needs no electrical current to apply just suspend it in the solution for a while.Don't know how to get hold of a smallish ammount for home use though,the aerospace company i used to work for bought it in 25 ltr drums.

regards Steve c.

You can get Alodine at this place.

http://aircraftspruce.us/catalog/cspages/alodine1201.php

Do all the finish work on the metal such as engine turning before you alodine it. The metal must be clean, clean, clean. Soap and hot water first then clean the part with Alumiprep 33, let dry and dip it in the Alodine. By adding a little dish soap to the Alodine it will let sheet off and won't streak. It is a good idea to have the part on wire as you can leave finger prints on the finish. When it dries you can touch it.

Kenny

I'm currently experimenting with Caswell's LCD (Low Current Density) system & have had some amazing results in Gold & Black. It's the plain aluminium finish I'm struggling with.

Some on Caswell's forum claim to be able to get alloy looking close to real Gold by super polishing it before hand & experimenting with the length of time it's anodising & dipped in the dye.

http://www.caswellplating.com

Personally, I've had best results from max'ing out all the time lengths & settling for a lovely, lustrous, satin Gold colour effect.

If you need the hardness / weatherproofing & colour fastness that colour anodising gives you then there is no chemical dip treatment that will compare.

Anodising in itself is very easy in the home workshop, trust me that it's not so easy getting repeatable results.

Plug - 1.jpg

Plug - 1.jpg

Back