Marking Out Table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artie

Reaction score
A few months ago, in another thread (I cant remember who or where) it was mentioned that granite bench topping would probably be suitable for a marking out table top. I thought that these are damned expensive as a mate just had some installed for megabucks.

Then I though... these have to have a hole cut for sinkls and cook tops to be installed dont they? So I dropped in to a kitchen carpentry and joiner and asked him about them. Yeah they cut them out with a special holesaw and disc saw. What do you do with the of cut? Throw em out....

I dropped him off some beer and he gave me a granite slab. Simple......

23042010254.jpg

Now Im making a table frame, more pics to come... I have a heap of Oregan Ill use for it.. anyway the slab is 19mm thick and I have to trim the edges off so im putting the masonry disc on the angle grinder in the morning... Ill update the progress.....
23042010255.jpg

Nice score Artie. When you box it, put a bit of felt under it.

That should be nice Artie, thick enough to be rigid, and yet not weigh a ton either. Nice find!!

Bill

Actually Tel I was going to silicon it down, but I like your idea better and I have a sheet of felt put away.... tah mate.....

b.lindsey said:
That should be nice Artie, thick enough to be rigid, and yet not weigh a ton either. Nice find!!

Bill

Gday Bill, surprisingly it does weigh a ton, in a former life I had (employer owned) a cast iron marking out table. Its amazing the amount of work we did on that beasty, im looking forward to this thing.

Rob

Ah well....better make that stand good and stout then ;D

Bill

And good and stout it is Bill!

Well with a masonry wheel on the angle grinder and a piece of angle iron as a guide this cut really easily. Once square I got the timber out and started on the frame. This was a heap of Oregan thats been in stock for many years and finally found a project worthy. You DID notice the dovetail joints I hope...

24042010259.jpg

24042010260.jpg

Then made a top fo rit as its surely gonna be a great place to put stuff... The cover was made from Pine and plywood, all came together well....

24042010264.jpg

24042010267-1.jpg

24042010268.jpg

Over all pretty happy with the way its turned out. Not cheap by any means, rep,lace ment value of th Oregan alone was about $200 aus, luckily it was already in stock...

24042010262.jpg

That looks great Artie, and as you say...with the cover it will serve as a nice table top too. I think the casters are a fine idea too. Just have to ask...what is Oregon...a native species of wood, or where it originally came from (i.e. Oregon, USA)?

Nice job on the project!!

Bill

You probably know it as Douglas fir Bill.

Thanks Tel, I thought it might be that but wasn't sure. There is some family interest in the lumber business in Oregon is why I was asking.

Bill

Wow Artie, a great looking table/stand. It looks almost too good to be used in the shop, reminds me of some of the maple cutting/serving tables in kitchens. :big: Terrific job, did you hand cut the DT's or use an INCRA jig and router?

BC1
Jim

Nice Dovetails 8) AND the crossmembers are set in a 1/2 inch dado. Very nice. Screwless construction? Did you put in a few hidden dowel rod pegs? Yellow aliphatic glue or brown Urethane glue?

I already see a potential lower shelf, upon which to pile loads and loads of stuff... :big:

Love it,
Kermit

now thats a nice piece of wood working there mate :bow: :bow:
that would look good in any house as furniture!!! 8)

chuck

Very fine job. Beautifully finished Thm:
Regards
Ernie J

Thanks Tel,I didnt know how to answer Bills question, I just learnt something..

Jim, Kemit Chuck and Ernie thanks for the feedback.
Dovetails were done with a router and jig (gifken jig, aussie item) dowelled and no screws, quite correct Kermit and yes its assemballed with alphatic glue. The resin stuff I use required 24 hours set time. I was on a roll and couldnt wait that long.

Jim the thing is based upon a kitchen chopping block stand I saw once, I think the design is pretty generic, hence you are reminded of something I was inspired by, circles within circles.

I had a mate working with me today and we had a few discussions about the finish. "its only intended for the workshop" was a common theme... many spirited discussions, it was his (Johns) push that got it dowelled, I wasnt going to. All in all, a nice rainy day project.

I have always wanted a unit like this and I have to thank the guys here for teh inspiration and the opportunity to 'show off' the results, surprisingly, that helps motivate me, getting something ready for you guys. Thanks to all. I am looking forward to using it.

Too good for teh workshop? I think not..... :big:

PS, it is getting that bottom shelf and a thin drawer right under the top... its never ending is it?

Artie,
Nice table and a nice big chunk of rock to top it off. Great find. I've been thinking of hitting one of the kitchen remodelers to look for cut outs. I'm curious though, have you measured the granite for flatness? If so, how did you go about it?

I've been using a granite floor tile but I'm not sure about it's flatness. It reflects light OK, the reflections don't look very distorted though there is a tiny bit of "pebble" effect. But I have run a DTI across it with my layout gage and it seems to be a bit uneven. However, the results have not been very repeatable, so I don't know if it's the stone or my method that is the problem.

Anyway, that's one great table. I like that it has lots of room to work on, I find my little tile to be a bit cramped at times.

I like the stand you made.

I use a 12" x 12" glass mirror tile as my flat plate when wet sanding my parts.

It seems flat enough for my use.

I just need a place to store it out of the way so it won't get broken.

I am going to check with one of the counter top shops in town and see what I can beg off them.

SAM

And another thing Artie, don't let the mrs. see it or she will be using it to make pastries. :big:

BC1
Jim

I think BC is right lots of house wives, pastry chefs, and candy makers would love to have that or one like it . The Mrs may need one of her own. You see it as a lay out table others would see it as a kitchen work station.
Tin

Your a gleyer old bugger .Well done mate. :bow:

Ian (seagar)
Coffs Harbour
Australia.

Back