making a "slot" with a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

How hard is it to do?

I'm supposing I already have a cross slide adapter that can present the work piece to the chuck holding the cutting tool. Which I don't ;D

My first guess would be that I should just stick with drilling multiple holes with the lathe and finish by hand if I just have to make them square. Or stop with the series of holes.

If I take small cuts would the lathe handle an end mill tool? Or should I only load the chuck in the axis of rotation and not across it?

Lots of questions,
Kermit

Oh---how about a picture so you can see what I'm getting on about.
osccylportlayout.gif

Kermit,
A lathe spindle should be capable of handling radial as well as axial loads. Knurling and part-off, as well as turning a diameter or facing all impose a radial load on the spindle.

An end mill will work fine, but be aware of the backlash in your cross-slide.

As far as a method of work holding, use your imagination. An angle plate clamped on the cross-slide, a square block of aluminum or steel, or if you have a quick-change toolpost, you could just clamp to the side of that if you are careful to not mill into it. I don't have a lathe with a flat top on the cross-slide, but I've done some milling and boring jobs with an angle plate and some scrap for shims.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back