make a squareI

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
Is it possible to make a machinist square, or is it worth the 50 or more dollars to purchase one?

Thanks,

Mike

oregonsteam said:
Is it possible to make a machinist square, or is it worth the 50 or more dollars to purchase one?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, its is possible, depending on you level of skill.

I think it also would require the use of a master square to check your work, and the ability to heat treat. A ground finish would be nice too!

You might consider looking at what Enco and other suppliers have to offer in a precision grade.

I bought a few small precision ones due to being disappointed by the "shop grade".

I normally only use the two inch for the size work that I do.

-MB

I've bought all of my squares used off eBay, all name brand, for very reasonable money. My favorite is an old Browne & Sharp with a patent date of 1897. :)

Shoot, Blogs. That's so handy and straight forward I never would have thought of it. Thank you for the link! I have machinist squares, but I'm surely going to make up a couple of these.

Thumbs up, Mister B.

Dean

Holy handgrenades Blogs!

That's so simple even -I- can make one. Thanks for the link.

Another bit I can use to fill in at school when there are no classes. I'll crank out a
few sizes since we have lots of various pipe around.
...lew...

Back