Major Beam Engine Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivergypsy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about having a go at the Major Beam Engine in the near future, but whilst I know that Taylor did some work on the plans which are now available from Stuart Turner, what I would like is to find a copy of the original George Gentry plans.

Does anybody have copies of the 1914 ME articles that they would be willing to part with, please?

Many thanks
Dave

Dave,
I have a Major Beam in my future also and I'm curious about your choice to go back to the Geo gentry version. What was different about that version?

Hi,

From modelling his entablature engine I think he's got a very good sense of detail and proportion. I'm not sure exactly what changes were made by Taylor, but I wouldn't like to miss anything, so that's why I want the original. I'll model it in SW first to check for errors though.

Hi Dave,
I've just begun my Major, and one immediately apparent difference is that Taylor did away with the gear-driven cross-shaft and belt wheel.

I would also like to find the applicable Gentry drawings to see if the shaft detail can be reintroduced into the Taylor/Stuart version, using the Stuart bed plate, as it was for the smaller ME Beam design.

Update - I've begun some Cad work to determine whether the cross-shaft can be added and will post my results when I have them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back