Magnetic Stainless Steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a cabinet with a magnetically fixed door but don't want to use plain steel with the magnets as it may rust. I know some stainless steels are magnetic as I have some (of unknown type) at home. Does anyone know of any commonly available grades of SS that would be good for this application? I'd like the door to be held reasonably firmly in place but not be too difficult to remove when required. I'm not that keen on commercially available magnetic closers but will go that route only if I have to!

Vic.

Any of the Martensitic stainless steels would work typically 400 series. ( 410, 416, 440c)

How many are made into sheet stock suitable for cabinets? NO IDEA!

A word of caution though, These grades are magnetic because they have iron in them, and although they are called stainless steel, they will rust to some
extent..though passivation does help alot...

The only "rust proof" stainless is the grades with no iron in them.....

Dave

The 440 is generally used in stainless steel bearings because it contains carbon so they can be hardened up to about 50-55 Rockwell. Yes they do go brown due to the iron content but that does not impede on their operation it just doesn't look pretty. Purely cosmetic, but if used for your application indoors you shouldn't have a problem with brown staining. Not sure if it's available in sheet format for your application though. Browse the internet is my advise.

Thanks guys, I'll keep a look out for some 400 series SS.

Vic.

Two possibilities occur to me to circumvent the problems:

(1) Self-adhesive ferrite strip where the magnet is to be used, allowing 304 stainless for the door construction

(2) a layer of 0.5mm 304 stainless covering a strip of 430 (or similar) grade magnetic steel, to keep the surface "truly stainless" - the magnet might need to be a little stronger but it WILL work through the thin 304 layer.

question

what grades of stainless is it that do not contain iron. steel is steel. it is the adition of other alloys that give it anti corrosion traits. still largely a ferrous metal.

Tom R

Hi Vic

Guide bars from old printers are made of ss, they are magnetic and don't rust at all (you can easily find 15-years-old printers with the bars still free from rust)

Cut some disks from an old printer bar and glue or screw them on the door.

Roberto

Kitchen utensils eg butter knives i believe are 304 grade. They wont rust but if you are using neodimium (rare earth) button magnets i think they will work.

Latest posts

Back