m8 left handed taps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krv3000

Reaction score
HI can any one lend me a set of m8 x1 pich left handed taps

HI jasonb thanks for the link but its left handed that i need not right handed ones the chepest ones that i have fawnd so far for a set is £49 + vat

Read what I said, Tracy only show the RH but in green it says "All taps available in larger sizes, H.S.S./GT, Spiral Point/Flute + Long Series, Also DIENUTS + L/H. Please call" Their L/H are typically twice the cost of R/H

The J&L ones are also L/H if you look at the bottom of the page, £11.91 +VAT ea

J

L 49 for a Tap?? In USD a Hertel is $25, others cheaper. That being a M8 x 1.0 LH. now are you looking for a 3 piece set? Taper, plug, bot., seems a bit much for a few holes.

I have a M8 x1.25 LH, postage to/fr UK may equal cost.

HI all thanks for the replays yep it needs to be metric its for my Cross slide of my compact 8 the feed nut on mine is broken yep i no i can by a new one but its made out of aluminum and i want to mack one out of bronze which to me is a much beater than the aluminum one yes i no i can by a set of taps but as I'm go wing to yous the taps ones don't want to by sumthing that will get used ones and never see daylight a gain thanks all for your help

Wouldn't that be a L/H "Acme" Metric thread then?

Pete

HI pete no its not a acme thread i will post sum pics soon

Will this work for you?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43645&highlight=acetal+nuts

I've never tried it but may need to for the one piece nut on my Exe 2-1/2" lathe.
Looks like it offers near zero backlash and you can make a couple of spares while you're at it.

Like the man says you have to find a method of holding the 2 halves together when they're in service but the heat will do for you to shape the outside.

Ray

HI ray thanks for the link I have bit the bullet and ordered a set of taps from tracytools thanks every one for their help

KRV,
If I remember correctly your lathe is a Emco compact 8 isn't it? I find it hard to believe that Emco would use a standard thread form and not Acme. Did someone replace that screw and nut at some time? If your again having to replace it then maybe going back to the Acme thread would save you further work in the future.

Pete

HI pete yep my lathe is a compact 8 it dates from the 1970 and as far as i can see the parts are the origanal ones when I'm up on my feet i will post sum pics I have started to cut out the ruff shape of the new nut out of bronze bare I will post pics of the billed regards bob

Emco made the Unimat DB & SL machines with M8 LH leadscrews running in cast iron and ali. Most existing SLs have their original screws it seems, so Emco stuck with it.

KRV said his nut was broken, not worn, so I suppose Emco had intended it to be replaceable. Shame about the price :)

Ray

right the right pics

P17.jpg

P16.jpg

Latest posts

Back