lucky for the OSHA guy to stop in (vid)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it becomes all about money.

A man becomes nothing more than a cog in the wheel of the
machinery that runs to please the stock holders of the company.
Get it done NOW!

That is a perfect example!

Rick

rake60 said:
Sometimes it becomes all about money.

A man becomes nothing more than a cog in the wheel of the
machinery that runs to please the stock holders of the company.
Get it done NOW!

Sad, but true.

Worse, though is when someone cuts corners to do things like that for the sake of time. "It'll only take a minute to ______" was a typical expression that I always heard from my guys. My usual response to that was, "It only takes a split second to die; how would your family feel if you didn't go home tonight because you needed to save a few minutes?" That usually made the point and the guys would stop to think a little bit about what they were doing.

LAst week I had my national OHS manager come and visit me.
I was also getting a broken pit in my carpark replaced on the same day.
I warned my contractors to do 'Everything by the Book' and have thier JSA, guarding and PPE all sorted out.
When I went outside with my OHS manager what do you think we saw?
One of the guys was using a petrol powered hand held brick cutter with no gloves, safety glasses or hearing protection.
When we asked him why he wasn't using the PPE he got very cranky and told us not to quote OHS to him as he knew it all.
We then reminded him he may know it but he certainly wasn't following it and if he wanted to continue doing work for us he would.
He didn't like that at all, ranting on that he didn't need this '****' and he didn't need to work for us and if his boss made an issue out of it he would walk.
His boss did make an issue out of it, especially when he done it again the next day on another site. I hope he did walk as I would rather not have a ticking time bomb doing work for us.
It just amazed me that we were trying to protect his health and he got angry about it. ::)
I guess some people just don't like getting told....

Back