Lubrication

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprattler

Reaction score
Hi I would like to know what you use to lubricate the moving parts on your engines while assembling and also how do you lubricate them when they are being run.
Thanks
Gil

Hi Gil
I use Marvel Mystery Oil in almost all of my air powered models.
It works well, cleans up easier than most oils and it's red color looks
better.

Rick

Hi again Gil,
I always use multigrade engine oil if just running on air, but if using steam then a correct steam oil MUST be used. Just a couple of drops every 30 mins in the feed air line. I do like to assemble with a dab of STP oil treatment.
Some engines like different oil, you only have to look at the saga of the elbow engines on this site, everything from WD40 to thick grease was tried, and some still would not run.

John

I tend to use Starrett Tool & Instrument Oil I think it is basic mineral oil Some of my engines are plastic and it does not attack it. Works good on the metal some guys use 3 in 1 oil
Tin

Hi
On both my compound tractors I use a steam oil rated for super heated steam and on my single cylinders I use a liter steam oil with a little castor oil added. All my lubricators are of the Foster design and have no trouble with heavy steam oil. The displacement lubricators when used like a thinner oil.

The motion is lubricated with slideway oil and when laid up over winter i use a good coating of WD40 all over the engine.
rear wheels are lubricated with a 50/50 grease oil mix thats boiled before its pumped in.

Cheers

I use Singer sewing machine oil. If it is good enough for the wife's 10k dollar long arm sewing machine it is good enough for my eng.

GrayBeard
The owner of that web site is a good friend of mine and quite a nice guy. He lives only a few miles away and I've spent a number of enjoyable days attending the Steam ups he holds in his back yard. If anyone is looking to get into gauge 1 live steam Locomotives they can do no better than dealing with Jim. He's THE top supplier of Aster Locos in the US and knows them from the inside out. His personal collection of Aster Locos is dauntingly impressive.

The Web site's Logo/ header was something I designed for him, as a way to say thanks for inviting me and my then 4 year old grandson to one of his events. Talk about some very nervous steamers...LOL. Nicholas proved to be quite trustworthy around the rolling stock and by days end several hard core steamers were competing for his attention and even letting him "drive" a train or two.

Jim would be delighted that you've linked to his site.

Steve

Bogstandard said:
Hi again Gil,
I always use multigrade engine oil if just running on air, but if using steam then a correct steam oil MUST be used. Just a couple of drops every 30 mins in the feed air line. I do like to assemble with a dab of STP oil treatment.
Some engines like different oil, you only have to look at the saga of the elbow engines on this site, everything from WD40 to thick grease was tried, and some still would not run.

John

John I always used a product called Slick50 in all my RC airplane and helicopter engines. When I bought a new engine I would disasemple it and lightly coat all the parts in it.

I've been using a product called "Green Velvet" for some time now. The guy sent me a sample bottle to submit to Jensen Steam engines in hopes of becoming their supplier. The owner chose not to change his source of supply and sent the samples back to me. It's blended specifically for steam use and the stuff works a treat. His web site is located at http://www.steamenginelube.com .

I've spoken with him in the past and he is both passionate and knowledgeable where steam lubricants are concerned. Apparently he has a fair background in lubricants and their formulations.

Latest posts

Back