low cost single phase plasma cutters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Two critical points:
1 - Derate the spec cutting capacity by 30% and is that sufficient for your use.

3 - Don't depend on the expendables always being available unless they are the same as some brand name one.

I don't have a lot of experience, so I don't know how mine compares, but I have a Lincoln Procut 25 that works on 220v single phase. I haven't cut much with it, but it rips through 1/4" cold rolled steel pretty easily. It's supposed to cut thru 3/8" steel, but I haven't tested it yet.

I initially bought the plasma cutter thing it would be a great thing to have, but I have only used it a couple of times in the past 3 or 4 years. Maybe now that I'm retired, it will find more use.

Chuck

We bought one and if it's mainly steel and it's over 5/16" thick, that you will be cutting, keep your money in your pocket. You also need a reasonable sized air compressor.

Steel sizes bigger than this need heaps of air and big amps for success. We wish now we had bought the 3 phase machine.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

I felt I just had to have one as I could never master the oxy/ac cutting torch. I got a discontinued model with a ton of expendables from a dealer on a swap.

So far it has worked great on steel up to 1/2 thick. I haven't tried it on S.S. or alum yet. I seldom use it but when I need it, it is great. I don't regret having it. Hope it last my lifetime.

One thing the dealer cautioned me on was moisture in the air supply. He said that was a plasma cutters worst enemy. I have a fairly good filter system on the air supply I use for plasma cutting and painting.

They are tempting, these go on e bay quite cheap;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjXBHvRzKeQ[/ame]

They might be okay if you are good with electronics.

Back