Logan lathe questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainman3450

A.C.E. Engineering
Reaction score
Hello all

I've recently started to build a small 4 3/4 inch gauge live steam locomotive, and so far it's gone well. The only hurtle I ran into was some problems with the Logan screw cutting lathe I'm using for it, as well as the milling machine I'm using (Which is similar to a Bridgeport, but has a bunch of odd parts and a different manufacturer name) relating to the unit of measurment used on the dials/collars on the handwheels to tell you how far the toolbit is traveling.

On my mini-lathe, the units are labled clearly on the dials, but on the machines I'm using, they're nowhere to be found and I can't find any manuals anywhere to tell me! This resulted in me having to start and stop the machine multiple times to see if I cut far enough, and resulted in one scrapped part when I cut too deep, and also resulted in allot of swearing and frustration.

Any information is helpful, and I'd like as much of it as I could get as I'm still a beginner machinist.

Can you post a picture of the dials? Or maybe easier still, what's the biggest number on the dial.

Paul.

Dial indicators and hard stops do wonders. Even on the Hardinge at work we use a dial indicator often.

Latest posts

Back