Lindgren Shaper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groomengineering

Reaction score
Hi all!

Some years ago I acquired a Lindgren shaper.

shaper.jpg

It's about the same size as as a small South Bend or Atlas, flat ways like an Atlas, no central oiling, power crossfeed but not downfeed. The side plate reads Lindgren Machine Works, under the plate reads South Bend Ind. I've never been able to find any information on the old girl so any info, ideas, pics, etc would be appreciated.

Anyway, I've been slowly getting it back into shape and I'm currently working on the vise that came with it.

DSCF0688.jpg

DSCF0690.jpg

It's a planer style vise that someone has been a little rough on and cracked it in the t-slot area. The area above the t-slot is right at 1/4", so the plan of attack will be to mill 1/4" off the top of the vise and replace it with steel straps, clear out the t-slot area, and recut the cross slots.

More to come.

Cheers

Jeff

Okay, time to get working. Clamped the vise in the mill and lopped off 1/4".

DSCF0691.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

Cut up and marked some 1/4" HR strap....

P1010001.jpg

A few pins and 1/4" FH screws....

vise8.jpg

And here it sits at present. Still need to cut the scallops for the holddown bolts, clear the t-slot, and cut the cross slots. Then just mount to the shaper and make a cleanup cut across the top. Hopefully now that it's cooling off I'll get a little more shop time. :Doh:

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

South Bend have a shaper on Tony Griffith's site: http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendshaper/

It is certainly similar with small differences, but then shapers are.

It is possible that Lindgren only badged it, or, they could have made one from South Bend parts.

Good luck

Andy

Hi Andy.

The name is cast in the casting, if that makes any sense. ::) It's closer to an Atlas. The SB has dovetail slides and an integral oiler (my old man has one). Really just curious, I'm guessing it's something a couple of industrious swedes cast up in their back yard back in the '20s. ;D

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Back