Lathe Slotting Attachment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobWilson said:
Hi all , i would like to thank everybody for there comments and intrest in this project :bow:, i have a few more tool holders to make of differant sizes , but the real reason i need the slotting tool is for my next engine ether Elmer's gear engine or another similar one i have plans for, both have internal gears witch i would like to have a go at cutting myself .hope to make a start this weekend.
Thanks again everybody Rob

A build report on making the tool bit for slotting the gear teeth would be a nice add-on to this. Thm:

Thanks MM, AlanHaisley and deere_x475guy for your comments ;D
Not allot dun in the workshop this week as i spent the week rearranging things and giving workshops a good tidy up, as i had a visit from another HMEM form OZZ today.
Tonight i made up some tooling, starting with a length of SS set up on the mill and a slot milled to a depth of about 3 times the width off the slot,then another length was milled up to form a tennon to a length of twice the width so as when the two parts fit together they form a square hole through the bar,silver soldered together,then cleaned up in the lathe and finished turned.

Tony , very in joyable visit ,cheers Rob ;D

Slot.JPG

tennon.JPG

Silver Soldered.JPG

Tools.JPG

Rob your lathe slotting attachment is perfect, very well done... :bow:

... but what impressed me more again were the last few pics of your way to obtain a square hole in the tools! absolutely genial, and after turning the pieces it doesn't see anything

ariz said:
Rob your lathe slotting attachment is perfect, very well done... :bow:

... but what impressed me more again were the last few pics of your way to obtain a square hole in the tools! absolutely genial, and after turning the pieces it doesn't see anything

Ariz , Thank you very much for your comment :)

Cheers Rob

Back