Lathe Problem.......

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stilldrillin

Reaction score

We had recently installed a large second hand centre lathe
This was obtained to rough machine steel forgings, up to 5 feet diameter by up to 15 feet long.
The very experienced operator complained, often, that the machine was running much too hot. :-\
BUT, deadlines to meet, work to be produced..... “Just do this one and then we`ll service it”. ;)

Towards the end of a long hard shift the several gallons of headstock oil reached flashpoint and FLASHED!! :eek: :eek:

The 2` x 3` cover was blown upwards, embedding itself in the ceiling.
All the tools, allen keys & assorted junk which everyone stores on the headstock showered down all around the workshop.
The 18" x 9" chuck key bounced off the wall some 30 feet away.

The operator, luckily, had just turned around and his back was towards the machine.
He had an oily smoke residue line across the back of his neck, from the side blast.

No one hurt!
Though heaven alone knows how!!!! ???

Please forgive the blurred photos, I`m sure you will understand....... ::)

Cover blown away......
P3180002.jpg

Point of impact.......
P3180004.jpg

The cover after it`s recovery from the ceiling......
P3180003.jpg

Afterwards, it transpired the machine`s brake mechanism was faulty.
It had been running for a month or so, with the brake applied!!!

I would say that all concerned were very fortunate, especially the operator!! Several good lessons there...thanks for sharing.

Bill

Spock!!... Rectal warp tension factor 9 .... NOW!!!

Damned scary event. Glad to hear no one was hurt. There are no substitutes for regular and comprehensive maintenance.

Steve

well boss what do ya think now. think we should fix it.

WOW the last time i saw something blow like that was the top of my transmission in my car right though the floor.

WOW!!

I see lifting points, how much does the cover weigh?

from years as a OED nut i can say

you and those there are BLOODY LUCKY not to be hurt

flying metal is NOT GOOD the other name for it is shrapnel!!

so glad no one hurt,

hope you get the roof fixed soon

jack

Wow:
Scary stuff . I was operating a CNC lathe and had a boring bar break it shattered the safty glass on the cover I had just turned my back. On a funny note a story I heard was someone was cleaning a Time saver (thickness sander) with a piece of crepe rubber the thickness on the sander was set to about 1/8 inch the rubber was about 2" cube well the drum caught the rubber and compressed it down to 1/8 thick it came out the other side like a shot and bounced around the shop a few dozen times before coming to rest. The workers were diving for cover, no one hurt.
Tin

never had that happen on the big lathe i ran ................. but some ass thought it would be funny to loosen 2 of the 4 jaws holding a 1500 pound casting :eek: :mad:

as others have said, glad no one was hurt.

chuck

kustomkb said:
WOW!!

I see lifting points, how much does the cover weigh?

The cover was an alloy casting, 2` x 3` x 3/4" thick.
Not heavy, as such...... :-\

Back