Lathe parting off tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunboatbay

Reaction score
My Chicom 9x19 lathe came with a 'cheapie' q/c toolholder. Worked fine for all my turning operations except parting-off. I made a toolholder that holds 1/2" HSS "T-type" parting-off blades. I now get chatter-free parting-off of all the materials and diameters that I've used. I sized the grooves for a 1/8" parting blade and just use a piece of .040 SS safety-wire as a shim when I use 1/16 or 3/32 blades. The picture shows the holder with the wire shim and a 3/32 blade installed. I used 1/4" dia. brass for the hold-downs, so I wouldn't damage the top of the parting-off blade.

Parting a.jpg

Parting b.jpg

Parting b.jpg

In the rear tool position, the blade would be upside down. Why not just make a raising block, keyed to the rear T slot to bring the blade to center height?

reggie98 said:
In the rear tool position, the blade would be upside down. Why not just make a raising block, keyed to the rear T slot to bring the blade to center height?

Reggie

The part that is in the turret (tongue) is only about 1/16" less height that the tool slot, made that way for maximum rigidity, hence it is not possible to adjust the height sufficiently. Believe me, I tried all combinations before deciding to make the second toolholder. I could have machined off a part of the tongue, but then it would not be any good for the normal toolpost, should I ever require to use it again.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back