Kool Mist

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Hello all:)

Anyone here using the Kool Mist system? I'm rigging one up here for my mill and lathe and are wondering about RUST on my machines if I use this. It says to use 4oz. Kool Mist 77 per one gal. of water. Sounds like alot of water, and with water we all know what that brings. Just wondering if you got to spray down with WD 40 or something after using? It says "safe for your machines" on the bottle but was wondering if anybody had any experience with this.

Thanks Matt.

I use the Kool Mist system, Its just a fine spray on the tool bit. Never had any problems with rust but then I keep the mill pretty clean. I think the solution has a rust inhibitor. I do know you do not want breath the mist best to wear a mask, if not it gives me a sore throat.

Matt,
I use Kool Mist, but I use it from a spray bottle. I don't have a coolant system installed.

It does have a rust inhibitor, but if you leave it sit it will cause rust or stains. I just clean up well when I'm done and spray everything down with WD-40. So far no problems, other than finding out it can stain if left sitting for a day or two. I've left wet piles of chips in the tray and they did eventually rust.

There's no great hurry to clean up when using it, but I wouldn't let it sit overnight.

Otherwise I like the product very well.

I was wondering about rust... The instructions for my Taig mill said specifically not to use water based coolants as the steel parts would rust.

I use Kool Mist as an occasional flood coolant on my CNC. If you mix it weak, it will create rust if it puddles up, but mixed to the directions or a little stronger it's not been a problem.

What would happen if you run straight WD40 through the system? I spouse it would vaporize and stink everyone out of the house. I hook it up and sure works nice at about 55psi with the Kool Mist 77. Have not made any cuts with it yet.

I'm not so sure I'd want to breathe WD-40 vapors...

It's bad enough with my little spray bottle.

I added a small regulator and shut off so I could control it separate from my other air hookups. For what you have to pay for this little feller it should come on there already. Now seeing what the tank is, this could have been easily been made by myself, but now I know............. :D
KoolMist001.jpg

I've been using the non aerosol WD40 for clean up and de greasing, which isn't too bad in the house, but running it through the air system I'm sure wouldn't be good. The Kool Mist 77 I couldn't smell at all, but then that's 20 years of rock dust, welding smoke, and Camel Lights through this nose, so who knows.. ??? ???

WD-40's got a lot of kerosene in it.. Might be a fire hazard at some point, though I've hosed it onto parts being cut more than once to no ill effect.

1hand- I like it in the parts washer as well.

I ran a cnc w flood for a while wealways did a wipe down at the end of the day and applied some way oil to prevent rusting
Tin

Back