Knurling question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Just wondering how to get a deep knurl on steel. I have heard that some wheels cut rather than form on metals. Any advice appreciated

Always difficult on steel,but should be Ok with your big lathe.Lots of pressure
I have watched a video i think on youtube where the dia is calculated to reduce
the cicumference so it is devisable by the pitch of the knurl.No easy way im afraid lots of grunt and luck.All the best

I made a scissors type knurler from 1/2" key steel and a couple of diamond pattern knurling wheels.
It is fitted to the toolholder and the pressure of the wheels onto the work which is rotated at slow speed in the lathe is slowly increased using the cap screw.
You can get a good pressure without putting a lot of stress on the lathe. I have successfully knurled steel using this.
Regards,
Alan C.

Knurler1.jpg

Knurler2.jpg

Hi Herbie, I have a knurling tool that works by cutting the knurl, although it's generally too dear to purchase for the home handyman, I retained mine when I retired. Although I haven't used the scissor type, they look like they would be the best choice as they have opposed pressure on the wheels. On a conventional knurling tool, a great lot of pressure is required against the material and so putting a lot of pressure on the bearings in the headstock and on the infeed screw.

Paul.

The direct side pressure tools are the least desirable. The scissor type tools work very well and work best with convex rolls. Then there is the cut type which do not enlarge the diameter but are very expensive to buy. Like around $1500 to $2000. The scissor type is the best overall answer because it does not put undue stress on the part or major side load on you spindle bearings, like the old style floating knurling tool which works off extreme side pressure.

If you put your knurling tool with just a bit of angle to your peace of metal
will make it alot easier and deeper

Thanks everyone for some great advice. Cutting seemed like the answer but not at $2000 so I will just order a second wheel and make the scissor device.

You can make a cut knurler fairly easily.

This was published in a mag, and an adaptation is available on another site for free.
6 pieces, needs ability to cut a 1/2" round piece to an accurate angle around 45 degrees.
Just buy the knurl wheels, 5$ each or so.

Back