Kiln for casting?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinkum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wondering if one could melt metal in a pottery kiln?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks.

It does look promising. I was wondering whether if gases will build up in a kiln and cause danger etc., or something like that will happen. As you can probably see I haven't got a clue about anything regarding casting. :hDe:

Well I don't have much of a clue about kiln's :)
Yes, casting is generally done outdoors, (at home) or with industrial ventilation systems. A great deal of toxic gasses can be released depending on what your melting. Not something I would try indoors.
The kiln reference to oxidizing atmosphere is something you try to avoid with home aluminum castings as well.

There are plenty of plans available on the net for home foundry furnaces and burners, try, learn, be safe!

There are plenty of plans available on the net for home foundry furnaces and burners, try, learn, be safe!

Use the right tool for the job there is a lot of info on the net and many good books. There are also kits available to start home casting but Read read read. and be familiar with safety practices and PPE before starting.
and just because you see some fool on YouTube do something does not mean it is right or safe.
I saw a video out of India of guys casting wearing sandals, shorts, short sleeve shirts and IIRC no safety glasses. they looked like they were dressed for a stroll on a board walk somewhere.

Things can go bad in a fraction of a second. I am a pretty safe guy I get safety training on a regular basis. Yesterday I was breaking in a new line trimmer in my back yard. the first battery went dead.And i had to wait for the spare to charge. there was only a little left to do. I actually considered doing a little yard work bare footed. I decided not a good idea. a few minutes later I was cleaning the weeds out of the seam in the sidewalk . the next thing I know the trim line is weed whacking the toe of my boot. no harm done . but if I had been bare foot my toes probably would have looked like a cat attacked them. and it would have hurt. always wear PPE.
Tin

I would say that an electtric ceramics kiln is exactly the wrong tool for the job! SWMBO keeps her kiln in the workshop and I have seen it used many times (I have to get it ready to use). A modern electrically powered kiln is designed to be loaded cold and emptied cold. It is designed to heat up very slowly to stop the ceramics exploding. A firing cycle takes at least 24 hours and sometimes longer. The refractory lining is very flimsy lightweight brick and chips at the slightest touch. A knock with a loaded ladle would be likely to break the lining and damage the elements. I would also guess that thermal shock of opening the lid when at 1000 degree would be likely to damage the lining and fracture the elements. The elements in a ceramics kiln are exposed and there is usually an interlock on the lid to make sure they are not powered with the lid open.

That said a gas fired kiln designed for Raku work might work but you might as well go for a proper gas fired smelting furnace. Hope this helps a bit wouldn't like to see money wasted on the wrong thing, I second Tin Falcons post

Cheers

John

Thanks for the sensible replies. It does not look promising now. :(

I'll definitely be back in this forum some time later when I have the time and funds available to build a furnace. :)

You can make a temporary furnace out of fire brick.
Stack the bricks in a circular shape.
A temporary furnace works ok, but the bricks don't hold up over time (they will crack).

A crucible made of heavy-wall steel pipe is very forgiving for someone new to casting.

The burner can be purchased, or a Ron Reil style can be made.

Thanks, UNIcastings. Maybe I'll have a go at that.

Back