Its not a DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadness

Reaction score
This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit with a career machinist about a using the lathe and DRO's. He told me that the shop he worked in did not use DRO's on lathes anymore they used a device ( I cannot remember what he called it) that measured how much metal was removed as you made the cut. I said well basically that is what a DRO does and he said no, the DRO tells you the position on the tool end or side but not how much metal was being removed. (Ok I can see his point)

Now can anyone tell me what the heck he was talking about? I have racked my brain trying to remember what he called the device but I cannot remember. (I don't have any reason to believe he would be pulling my leg, he seemed serious enough)

I don't know what he had he was right in the fact that a dro only tells you how much the tool has moved, not how much material was removed. We all know that moving the tool in .010" on a lathe does not necessarily mean the part will be .020" smaller after the cut.

I have seen that done with lasers and video imaging for inspection, but I can think of a few challenges to using that during production. That does not mean its insurmountable, however.

After doing a little more searching it might be a laser micrometer that he is using but if he had used that term I would have remembered it. None the less I would mind having a laser mic but they are a little pricey. $11000 for a Mitutoyo

The problem I see with optical is how can you tell diameter from all the swarf and coolant? I am sure its probably been done, but I would like to know how.

Sometimes when speaking with folks from inside the business. they have no sense of cost. If the mic cost $11K or $110. they have no idea, its just a better tool to them. After all they don't have to pay for it.

To paraphrase an old Packard Ad line, if you want to know about DRO's ask the guy who OWNS one.

sounds like a bit of semantics to me . it is true a dro tells position but it also tell how much you moved the tool more or less. a lathe DRO can be set for radius or diameter mode. So a dro set for diameter should tell you the diameter of the stock after the cut is made or how long the part is after a facing cut.
Shakespeare said a Rose by any other name still smells just as sweet. or something like that. It doesn't matter what tools you use as long as you are happy with the results. Any tool will do as you tell it.it is a matter of you communicating clearly to the machine. You are the one with the brains.
Tin

Latest posts

Back