It's a sad day in the steamer household.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
Alas , the old girl has come to her end. she gave a good fight....as much as the good doctor steamer tried, there was little hope...and she was dutifully pronounced deceased by Doc steamer at 8:48 pm last night...

.....time for a new washing machine........
;D

Gear box drained and it "ate itself"......I'm not even going to try!...

Mama say's she'll just go buy the new one.....sweeeeeeeeeet! no endless shopping trip!

Now before you say it, keep in mind Mama found the current one 3 YEARS ago through freecycle.....yes for FREE! I just had to go and get it....it has survived 3 YEARS with our twin children ect!......she can buy anyone she wants!

Dave

Heh, I can understand this one. After 13 years with my twins, our old washer is getting harder and harder to fix. Ours has as many home made parts as factory ones anymore.

I keep saying we are going to go out and buy a new one, and then say oh well, one more patch...

Where I come from a worn out, tired old work horse is dispatched quickly and humanly.
I hope you treated yours with the same respect.

Shopping Tip.
Keep the wife away from the isle with the front loaders.
They'll save you a fortune on water and hot water heating costs, IF you live long enough
to recoup the cost of the dern machine! :D

Rick

Ah, matrimonial bliss,

Galina has what can only be described as a mental block when it comes to anything with any sort of a thread, bottle tops, jars, filters on washing and dish washing machines etc.

Last week I was advised that the dishwasher had developed this "funny noise." Sure enough, it had a "funny noise" on the wash cycle.

Of course when she stopped it in the middle of this cycle it was full of hot soapy, greasy water. Risking 3rd degree burns I bravely plunged my hand into the morass to find that the filter had not be screwed into place. Removing this, I again ventured unto the murky depths only to be confronted with a sharp pain in my finger which traveled up and out at the speed of light firmly attached to a largish piece of glass. AHA! "Did you break a glass?" "Oh yes that was yesterday!!" 2 hours later, fiddling about with the folded over end of a coat hanger I had retrieved some 8 pieces of glass from the circulating pump suction. The last one being extremely difficult as it was caught up in the impeller blades. Hence the "funny noise." I looked at Galya and said, "That will be $300, $150 call out fee and $150 for my time. Do it after I'm gone and that's what it would cost you."

This seems like a good place to end my soggy tale.

Best Regards
Bob

Geez youse blokes!!!!!! What's wrong with taking the clothes down to the creek and bashin' 'em on a rock? If Mrs Tel sees this she'll want one as well! *knuppel2*

stevehuckss396 said:
You butt head!!

I read that and thought you lost the family pet. Glad it was just the washer!!

Rof}

Mama by profession......and in addition to being Mama...is a first class buyer.....I can assure you she'll do and has done the research!

She's looking at the scratch and dent isle.... ;D.....she Say's "you'll put more dents in it bringing it down the cellar stairs! ....I wonder if they'll do free delivery from the scratch and dent isle.?..." God I love her!

Dave

rake60 said:
Where I come from a worn out, tired old work horse is dispatched quickly and humanly.
I hope you treated yours with the same respect.

Shopping Tip.
Keep the wife away from the isle with the front loaders.
They'll save you a fortune on water and hot water heating costs, IF you live long enough
to recoup the cost of the dern machine! :D

Rick

Yup....even put it through the spin cycle to get the water out first..... ;D

Dave

Deepest condolences Dave ...the good news is that once Mrs. Steamer picks out the new one, you won't have to worry about it for another 12-15 years. Of course then the dryer will be jealous and probably kick the bucket too :big:

Bill

Dryer? One of these?

1.jpg.png

Tel, if I ever tell my better half to take the washing down to the creek, she'd take ME down there and bash ME against a rock!

Mama says it's very difficult to find a plain old top loader, they're all high efficiency!.....Want's to know if I can put a new tranny in if she can get it!

:redface2:

the response was .....Yes Dear!...... ;D

Dave

While you are basking in her appreciation after you fix it, is the perfect time to bring a new machine in!

Heh...I still got to get the bed ground on the SB.....that'll be the carrot...... ;D

Dave

Mama by profession......and in addition to being Mama...is a first class buyer.....I can assure you she'll do and has done the research!

She's looking at the scratch and dent isle.... .....she Say's "you'll put more dents in it bringing it down the cellar stairs! ....I wonder if they'll do free delivery from the scratch and dent isle.?..." God I love her!

Dave

Mrs Tin and I shop for appliances a the scratch and dent STORE AKA sears apliance outlet. a little google bird tells me there is one a mile from your house may want to check it out 100 Comercial Drive ,your town USA
Tin

IF you end up with a front load see if it can be delivered to your basement - I brought mine down by myself and it was the 2nd stupidest thing I've ever done and lived to tell about it (the 1st ..that is another story)

It was #$%@& heavy - bringing lathe and mill parts to the basement was easier...

Mike

Tin Falcon said:
Mrs Tin and I shop for appliances a the scratch and dent STORE AKA sears apliance outlet. a little google bird tells me there is one a mile from your house may want to check it out 100 Comercial Drive ,your town USA
Tin

Oh yea!

Dave

OK ...here's the latest regarding this Saga.

Mama researched all the various brands. It appears you can't buy a new conventional "top loader" anymore! They all by law have to be "high Efficiency"

With one possible odd ball exceptions

A GE unit that has both cycles.

Without exception, every HE washer by every manufacturer had aweful reviews! Seems they don't work or require an operating license to debug.

And even the cheap ones on sale ar 5 bills!

It would appear that "lean design" philosophies are being used with great gusto! These machines no longer have transmissions, they are direct drive with electronic control....problem is , as with any paradyme shift,...they haven't worked the bugs out yet

You'll love this little instructive video

http://www.geappliances.com/videos-media/?vuuid=y2y8006j&categoryid=13830

Seriously!.....OK...the board of directors conviened and we both agreed that rebuilding the existing one....and squeeze another 3 years out of it....would allow some time to pass and maybe the manufacturers will have enough time to get their heads out of their A$$e$

For a new clutch, transmission and pump...essentially a new machine! ....on ebay.....about $200. We'll order the parts this afternoon

GE wantd about $500 for the same parts!....of course they do!

Stay tuned........she will be brought back from the grave....HA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

It's ALIVE!!!

;D....ok over the top.....couldn't resist..

Dave

The parts are ordered. Now the wait and the disassembly of the cadaver....er um washing machine.

Dave

tel said:
Dryer? One of these?

What's interesting is that two people clicked on the rope image to get a better look! scratch.gif