interesting day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy

Reaction score
Had an exciting day at Kingsbury Water Park modifications that had been done to my flash steam hydroplane worked.
First run over 500metres (5 100metre laps) recorded a speed of 129plus mph with two laps at 130mph if timed later would have been faster.
It just kept going faster but on the second run 119mph was recorded a fault had developed the valve seat had been cut so many times that it had weakened it and the cast iron valve guide started to collapse under increased new valve spring pressure.
A question what would be the effect of using a bronze instead of cast iron valve guide material.
Bear in mind the guide gets very hot.
Being superheated steam not IC.
Useful ideas welcome.

Paul

Had an exciting day at Kingsbury Water Park modifications that had been done to my flash steam hydroplane worked.
First run over 500metres (5 100metre laps) recorded a speed of 129plus mph with two laps at 130mph if timed later would have been faster.
It just kept going faster but on the second run 119mph was recorded a fault had developed the valve seat had been cut so many times that it had weakened it and the cast iron valve guide started to collapse under increased new valve spring pressure.
A question what would be the effect of using a bronze instead of cast iron valve guide material.
Bear in mind the guide gets very hot.
Being superheated steam not IC.
Useful ideas welcome.

Paul

I assume your running water cool
what size guide ID OD Length
interesting work your doing

Water is heated by 3 venturi burners onto a 12metre length of 321 tubing.
The steam pipe that feeds the inlet valve is red hot and the valve is made from a car exhaust valve.
Head Ø0.3125" stem Ø0.203" the part that is rubbing on the cast iron guide is about 1" with labarinth grooves.
With this latest speed it revs to about 11,000.
Attachment enclosed sorry if not that clear but was a snapshot taken from my old video camera yesterday but shows first lap build up to its record runs.

Paul

start of record run 2 NDVD_012.JPG

On that lake no fishing allowed they have so many other ponds and lakes to choose.
At Kingsbury that day the full size hydroplanes were racing for two days and on anothe lake the jet ski people were playing.
It has nature trails, horse riding, bird watching and many things related to water.
As a member of the public said to me many years ago Kingsbury caters for all tastes

Latest posts

Back