Insert use.?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naiveambition

Reaction score
Just got these inserts for 50$ and wandering what the two triangle ones are used for. Any help is appreciated and, does anyone know what cutoff tool holders will work with the cutoff insert.

image.jpg

I think so to for the dark one, any info on the gold one, can't understand what the cutting edge would or how be used

image.jpg

The two triangle inserts in the centre of the picture are threading inserts, the insert next to the yellow box is an internal grooving top notch insert. I can tell that it is for internal work by the way the top groove is angled and also by the side that the tip protrudes. Judging by the yellow boxes, they are Kennametal inserts, a search of their website will show tool holders.

The gold insert appears to be for a buttress thread.

Paul.

Last edited:
I would guess that's for stub acme. I suggest not paying more than scrap price for inserts you aren't familiar with. It's just not worth the time or money.

I would guess that's for stub acme. I suggest not paying more than scrap price for inserts you aren't familiar with. It's just not worth the time or money.

The insert shown in the picture appears to have one straight side and one tapered side, this equates to a buttress thread. An acme thread has both sides tapered.

Paul.

Could be, but it doesn't appear to match any of the standard buttress threads. The angles are very small. Looks like the box has some numbers on it. Google will sort it right quick.

Back