Inexpensive (cheap!!) digital calipers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie, that's a real good deal on the standard import calipers. They look identical to the ones that HF carries. The two pairs that I have checked out O.K. using a space block set, and a few gauge blocks that I have. Really all that the average guy needs to build the small engines dominating this forum. Thanks! I might grab a pair for future needs. Unlike a good deal on perishable fruit or vegetables they'll keep for a long time.

Now... can you find me a half price deal on an 'new' 2010 E-class Mercedes-Benz? :big:

-MB

I bought one of these on Ebay a couple of months ago. Paid about $12, including shipping, from some dealer in Hong Kong. I had planned to experiment with it, maybe make a digital height gauge or DRO for my lathe cross slide. However, I like it so much, it now sits on top of my tool box and I use it all the time. My dial calipers that I had favored in the past are now sitting my a drawer and rarely get used.

Chuck

I have this model for two years and have dropped it more than once (OK, more than 10X) Still matches measurements with a more pricey model. The only thing that it does that makes me crazy is that it turns itself back on with the jaws closed when you set it down. If you leave the jaws open an inch or so, you can plop it down and it will stay off. It's always done this and I don't have a clue as to why.

I've got one of those calipers too. I paid about £10 for it a few years ago but I've seen the exact same model in more expensive tool catalogues retailing for around £40.

I've taken mine around the world with me and apart from changing the battery every once in a while it has never given any problems. Bargain!

Rockets.

When I went to order 2 sets of calipers this came up at check out. Would it work to check the RPM of the small engines we build? The link shows the price as $25. But at check out its on 'special' for only $15 !

LCD Digital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8908

-MB

I would think it would, MB. It says it goes down to 5 RPM and it includes "reflective tape" Sounds like the ones I used to use in Biomedical repair of centrifuges. You put a little sticky tab on a shaft and the meter counts the reflections. $15 sounds like a great deal. Let's hope somebody has used it. That means that you would have to have a "line of sight" position to point the meter but that wouldn't be a problem when trying to shoot something like a crankshaft or flywheel. (I wouldn't think?) I like the idea.

Thm:

Ed

I think I'll take a chance and order it. If I can't use it or like it then I'm only out $15, big deal. I have been using an optical disc and single florescent bulb to check rpm by reading the speed bar zone. A bit of a pain to set up the disc on each engine, and not all that accurate from what I heard.

-MB

I have that very tachometer. I don't measure RPM very often, but it does work fine. You have to stick a small piece of the included reflective tape on the rotating part you want to measure.

Chuck

I ordered one of these on ebay yesterday (it's from China so hope it arrives ok)
Regards
Gordy

I paid 50 bucks for that tach.
Good deal.
I would definatly recommend it.

kel

I got my calipers yesterday. Well, they are worth about what I paid for them! They aren't nearly as well made as the one I got from HF several years ago. They are good enough to use for what I what....DROs for my mill and lathe.

Charlie

Back