Indicator holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgjessing

Reaction score
So I bought a cheap dial test indicator at the NAMES show last weekend to go with the new rotary table (it never ends, does it? ::) ). I also got a cheap gizmo to hold it in a chuck, but quickly realized the holder was, well, crap. So I've made a new one:

ind%20012.jpg

Fits in a 3/4" collet. With the indicator in this position it has a range of zero to about 5" diameter.

Oh, I really like that. I'll be shamelessly borrowing that idea for my little mill.

A click of Karma for YOU!

Hey, I like that!

It will do most of what I just bought that coaxial indicator to do.

Neat idea, one I'll have to stea.... erm 'borrow' as well!

Hi, a bit off topic, I have an indicator just like that but with 2 little spigots of different sizes to attach to those little dovetails. The spigots are a little rusty and I can't figure out how they clamp to the indicator. Are they spring-loaded or is that screwdriver slot used for tightening?

Helder.

Noitoen,

There should be a disk that came with the indicator. The disk is used like a screwdriver to tighten the stubs to the dovetails. The notches on the disk are used to remove/tighten the contact point.

-Bob

Great idea Dave. I do love my coax indicator but it is useless on my small mill so this will be just the thing for that!! Thanks for sharing it.

Bill

Great little tool
I Like simple easy to make tools like this. I wont knock the more complex projects but I’am more likely to make this one, the sort I can make in a few hours.
Thanks for sharing
Dave Bick

I think I purchased the same crap holder as you, this looks like a good setup. Bugger another thing for the to do list.
Brock

That's a nice simple design, wish I had seen it before. A few weeks ago I noticed arceuro had a new dti holder which clips onto the er32 collet nut - so I stumped up the £8 and bought one of those.

picclock

dtiholder.jpg

Thanks everybody ;D

I've been using it a lot on the new Stirling build - works great!

Latest posts

Back