"Indicating" round objects in the vertical mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popnrattle

Reaction score
This video shows how I find the center of round parts using my edge finder and the DRO. Hope this helps make your machining project easier. Later, Rick.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEASFdccXc[/ame]

What you're doing is referred to as the "Osborne maneuver". It's detailed in one of Lautard's Bedside Readers. A program demonstrating its very rapid rate of convergence is available on my page - look for OSBORNE.ZIP.

Hello, I read the text file about how the "osbourne maneuvre" worked. It stated you measure the diameter of the part and move over half that dimension and guess where the 3 o'clock postion is.
With my video procedure you can ignore the circle diameter(hole or shaft). You just take the average of 2 DRO readings. The average of zero and whatever the DRO value is with the edge finder on the other side. For example, if you are at 2 o'clock when you do the first edge it will automatically be at the 10 o'clock position when you do the other side, etc. Thanks for the input. Later, Rick.

Ahhh, the average of zero and "whatever the DRO value is with the edge finder on the other side" is half the diameter.

Not exactly. It is not the diameter of the part you are indicating. Half of the value of the X-axis reading is the amount you move back to get to the center. I think you brainy guys are trying to over-think it. ;D Later, Rick.

The DRO on the opposite side is the diameter of the part plus the diameter of the edge finder (at least on the final measurement).

Only if you measure at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. As long as your y-axis readout remains the same for both readings, you would still be equidistant from the centerline, but at 10'o clock and 2 o'clock, the x axis reading would be less than the diameter (plus the edge finder dia.).

Bill

b.lindsey said:
but at 10'o clock and 2 o'clock, the x axis reading would be less than the diameter (plus the edge finder dia.).
This is a bit dangerous, the edgefinder wont "swipe out" at the same time going "uphill" as "downhill" unless you go backwards on one of the sides (does this make any sense?)

It does make sense Holt, but i think in practice most of us would eyeball closer to 9 & 3 o'clock to start with to minimize that effect. But your point is well made. Personally if I am doing something critical I still feel more confident using a DTI or coax indicator, but this method would certainly work.

Bill

Yeah, sometimes I do reverse the spindle direction to go "uphill/downhill both ways" but haven't really seen an advantage. Maybe I do it just to make the universe a little less out of whack! ;D

Back