Ignition sensor identifcation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I think it's time to wind this one up before I cause any more trouble.
Thank you for your time Gents.
Keith.

Ok, I think it's time to wind this one up before I cause any more trouble.
Thank you for your time Gents.
Keith.
Keith, Your not causing any trouble, but when giving our opinion to a post we al have to be open minded.
I teach this stuff and use it everyday of the week. I don't assume I know it all, but I won't miis lead someone
because someone beleive he's wright, and proven wrong.I'm personalu not impress using a current drop to
control an ignition system. It could be better then what the factory is saying but ignition keep your engine alive.
I would be curious to know what company is this from.
I feel bad for Greg, but if beeing wrong is a good enought reason to leave the group........I don't think so

Luc, the company is www.power-spark.de. I've tried contacting them, they're a German company. I've asked if they can identify the sensor chip,
but I'm not expecting a reply.
Wish I'd not bought it now. Everything electonic I touch blows up!

Everything electonic I touch blows up!

Then i feel less alone. I'm specialized in blowing up electronic stuff. It seems I'm attracted to short circuit stuff when I have a problem with it...

Jack, yes that's the full sensor. Unfortunately there's weeks/months delay to get that part at the moment, so repairing the one I've got is the only option I can do at the moment.
My 'full replacement sensor' comment you quoted from my earlier post meant that I'd like to locate an alternative which I can just wire in, rather than have to get into replacing the actual sensor chip, etc.
Cheers.

Jack, yes that's the full sensor. Unfortunately there's weeks/months delay to get that part at the moment, so repairing the one I've got is the only option I can do at the moment.
My 'full replacement sensor' comment you quoted from my earlier post meant that I'd like to locate an alternative which I can just wire in, rather than have to get into replacing the actual sensor chip, etc.
Cheers.
Hi Keith, this part number will easely replace your part
Micronas HAL556sf (ake anyof these last letter will do)
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/100484/MICRONAS/HAL566.html
it should be easy to find a substitute for this one
If this does not work. tell me how many wires are attache together at the ecu input and I will draw a circuit for it
I will pre assemble it here and run it before sending you the info. I already have one in mind that I have on almost
all my equipement as an RPM
cheers

Luc, sorry for appearing a bit dumb, but this range of sensors is a different shape and number of pins to my one.
Do you mean I can wire this sensor in place of mine with a bit of fiddling around, or is this range of sensor available
in sot23 arrangement.
Cheers.

Luc, or do you mean scrap my sensor and 2 x resistors altogether and use the Hal556?

Luc, I'm going to appear dumb again but, oh well...
Not knowing much about different chips, at the start I thought someone was going to reply with 'yes it's a 45EXX??, RS stock number 222 333.
Just solder a new chip in and everything's fine'
Obviously it isn't as easy as that, in this particular case anyway.

I had a look at the last link you sent but couldn't figure anything out from that I'm afraid. Those sensors have a 4 pin layout, SOT89B, and there is a list of different sorts, or names anyway. I don't know if they all do the same thing or what.
If any of these would do I still wouldn't know which pin to solder where.

In the meantime Powerspark in Germany unexpectedly came back to me and I have been corresponding with them for the past few days.
They have conceded it is a sensor fault and provided I send my sensor to them they will send me a replacement, so that's the plan at the moment.
At the start I was hoping for a quick fix to get me going, but now I'm resigned to waiting a week or two.

Thank you for trying to help.
Keith.

Hi Keith, sorry about this, I should have neen more accurate on my answer.
they have 4 pins cause pine number 2 is ground and it's at two place on the chip.
I could have swore :hDe: that I had put a chip number on the reply
Do you have two of those on your V8.
If I can make any sugestion next time try this companie, mutch simpler and way less cheaper http://ch-ignitions.com/

chers

Hi Luc, yes you did put a chip no. on your reply, but the link seemed to be for a different chip. The 556 and 566 may be the same tho', I don't know.

Last year I decided I wanted to have variable advance in the ignition, because, that's just what I'm like
But after spending 2 weeks over Xmas trying to get the stupid engine to even fire at all I now think it's probably not necessary.
For our purposes I think a fixed 25 degrees, or whatever, before tdc will do for all revs.

So now I wished I hadn't bought the thing. That 2nd link of yours would have done fine. I think I'll build a couple of those anyway, as a backup for when I blow this one up again. If I can get something similar in the UK.

The Powerspark I've got is for a twin cylinder engine. It fires when the magnet passes the sensor, and again 180 degrees after, which is quite clever
So I put 2 magnets in the flywheel, to get 4 sparks per rev. Each of the 2 spark outputs is sent to it's own dizzy.The only slight downside is that the RH dizzy has to supply 2 of the plugs on the LH bank, and vice versa, so the spark plug wires aren't as neat as they could be, but I couldn't see a neater way. Apart from using individual coil packs. Maybe something for the future.
Cheers.

Hi Luc, yes you did put a chip no. on your reply, but the link seemed to be for a different chip. The 556 and 566 may be the same tho', I don't know.

Last year I decided I wanted to have variable advance in the ignition, because, that's just what I'm like
But after spending 2 weeks over Xmas trying to get the stupid engine to even fire at all I now think it's probably not necessary.
For our purposes I think a fixed 25 degrees, or whatever, before tdc will do for all revs.

So now I wished I hadn't bought the thing. That 2nd link of yours would have done fine. I think I'll build a couple of those anyway, as a backup for when I blow this one up again. If I can get something similar in the UK.

The Powerspark I've got is for a twin cylinder engine. It fires when the magnet passes the sensor, and again 180 degrees after, which is quite clever
So I put 2 magnets in the flywheel, to get 4 sparks per rev. Each of the 2 spark outputs is sent to it's own dizzy.The only slight downside is that the RH dizzy has to supply 2 of the plugs on the LH bank, and vice versa, so the spark plug wires aren't as neat as they could be, but I couldn't see a neater way. Apart from using individual coil packs. Maybe something for the future.
Cheers.
:confused: that's a nice idea it's like having a ditributorless ingnition?????
but will that module hold together at double the freqency.
If for noise reduction in there system the companie decide to use a
Hi-pass filter. your ignition mite be clipping at 4500 rpm or so.
I guess time will tell still anxious to see it running:)

Latest posts

Back