Ignition sensor identifcation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith5700

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been trying to get the V8 to fire up for the last 3 weeks, with no luck whatsoever. I've decided the spark plugs are the problem and am currently making a new set, as per George Britnell's tutorial.

Anyway, during testing I think I've blown up the pickup sensor for the Powerspark ignition module. I've had a new one on order for over a week now, and today it turns out they are on back order for weeks or months.

So, I was wondering whether I could put another sensor in it's place, but I've no idea what this sensor is. I'm presuming it's a Hall sensor, with a couple of other things wired in, diodes?
Anyone recognise the set up? The black thing has 45E printed on it.

Thanks in anticipation....

016-6_zpsa08df656.jpg

Hello all,
I've been trying to get the V8 to fire up for the last 3 weeks, with no luck whatsoever. I've decided the spark plugs are the problem and am currently making a new set, as per George Britnell's tutorial.

Anyway, during testing I think I've blown up the pickup sensor for the Powerspark ignition module. I've had a new one on order for over a week now, and today it turns out they are on back order for weeks or months.

So, I was wondering whether I could put another sensor in it's place, but I've no idea what this sensor is. I'm presuming it's a Hall sensor, with a couple of other things wired in, diodes?
Anyone recognise the set up? The black thing has 45E printed on it.

Thanks in anticipation....

016-6_zpsa08df656.jpg
HY Keith, it's almost imposibble to burn one of these, the current limiter resistor are already instaled on
the board.Now if you take a multimeter turn your system on one pin should have + the other one - the 3rd one is your output.
Use a multimeter the current in that circuit is probably low enought that a test light want come on. If you just flas a piece of metal
close to it or a magnet you should have a signal on the 3rd wire.

45E IS ONLY THE GROUP TYPE AND NOTHING ELSE THIS SHOULD BE A REPLACEMENT http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/TCS20DPR,LF(T/TCS20DPRLF(TTR-ND/2509941

Greg: he's got 3 wire on their

good luck Keith

Is it not A1145 temperature range E in an SOT-23 package? The datasheet says the marking would be "45E". It's possible it's not Allegro, but who else makes hall sensors carrying this mark? Virtually all other 3 wire sensors on ignition systems are the A1104 marked 04E. Anyway, I've always used the marking to find hall sensor specs, but I could be wrong.

just put a meter on it, whilst connected to the ign. module.
One leg is 3.56v, the other 2 are down to earth. Magnet has no effect on other 2 legs. I guess it's toast?
Originally when I was turning the engine over one of the plug leads earthed to the block, and I happened to notice a 1/4" spark jump from the sensor tip to one of the bolts on either side.

Ideally I'd like to find a full replacement sensor, rather than change the chip on this one.
I'll have a look around to see if this is feasible.
Thanks for replies.

If the sensor is indeed the A1145, it looks like current should be measured. The spark through the sensor probably killed it though.

If the sensor is indeed the A1145, it looks like current should be measured. The spark through the sensor probably killed it though.
Greg, it's a A155LUAT withAllegro.
Keith: try using an LED between your 3.56 volt and a 75 ohms resistor it should come on
if you dont have this simply use a test light between 3.6 and any pin and you should have spark here is the specs sheet to rely on
for the pin out
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/446685/ALLEGRO/A1155.html
duplicating this complete circuit is like a breeze you have all the pin out and both resistors value 3.3k and 100

Luc, the 1155 superseded the 1145 and is a two wire. p.10 of the 115x PDF says it would be marked 55E if it was the 1155. It also says in the low state is consumes ~3.5mA and high state it consumes ~15mA. This is not like the commonly used 3 wire open drain unipolar sensors used with other ignitions. The 1155 will work, but the Toshiba part you posted above is not a suitable replacement. Please help me understand what I'm missing. Am I wrong in my interpretation of the 45E indicating the component is an Allegro 1145? How else do you determine what the existing component is? I have A1120LUAT and they are marked 20L.

Keith, I suspect you could get a dozen hall sensors for the cost of a replacement sensor assembly from the ignition manufacturer, with no wait.

Greg, I sure hope this is not going to create an argument here. I'm not trying to find a winner or looser OK. as for the replacement
I will include a picture from Allero that stipulate it has 3 pins just like we can see on Keith's pictures. I teach this stuff everyday and
I'm starting to beleive(been for a long time) that companies are screwing our brains up creating missleeding information on there own site.
If you call them in any doubt they knoe thr answer... with out looking at there book.
Your right by telling Keith he can build dozen of the same circuits with replacement sensor.
My 2 cents, surface mount's belong in radio's and stuuf you cant play with. other wise get the real one

cheers

a155luat.jpg

NO argueing just trying to sort out the proper replacement component. If you read the datasheet 45E has three pins, but one does nothing!!!!

I saw the three pads and connections, but that doesn't match the component function. So what's happening here? Three pads would be used anyway to mount it even if one leg does nothing. Why connect to it I don't know. How do we positively identify the component? 45E matches Allegro's marking, are there any other candidates? We have a likely dead component so testing may not tell us how it should act. identification and spec sheet seems the logical way, no? I've replaced or identified several hall sensor components by using the markings, seems to work.

Please read the spec sheet. the SOT-23 A1145 or A1155 has three legs but one has no internal connection.

Ok, I've read through everything but I can't figure out what the chip is.
It certainly looks like the Allegro A1145, which is now superceded with the A 1155.
The only thing is that on the datasheets it shows the top pin (in my photo) isn't connected to anything, but mine is definitely wired into the ignition module. I can't remember if my centreleg is connected to a wire. I can't make it out from the photo.

I'll have a look tonite.

Probably won't matter anyway as I can't see anywhere in the UK who stocks the A1155.

Thanks for trying chaps.

Ok, I've read through everything but I can't figure out what the chip is.
It certainly looks like the Allegro A1145, which is now superceded with the A 1155.
The only thing is that on the datasheets it shows the top pin (in my photo) isn't connected to anything, but mine is definitely wired into the ignition module. I can't remember if my centreleg is connected to a wire. I can't make it out from the photo.

I'll have a look tonite.

Probably won't matter anyway as I can't see anywhere in the UK who stocks the A1155.

Thanks for trying chaps.
Hi Keith and Greg. I did spend quit some time from one site to another trying to find something tha would make sense. If
you look at the picture 1455 1455 ua dont have the same casing and on the 1455ua they are using the 3 leg the new one
is simply a case ground. Now by looking at the pcb board the pin number would match for both type of chip....does that makes sense??

155pin out.jpg

Now by looking at the pcb board the pin number would match for both type of chip....does that makes sense??

Yes, in this case Allegro uses the same marking for both cases.

Sure. The photo clearly shows an SOT-23 case. So, which component can we assume this is marked with "45E" in a SOT-23 case (LH package)? To me it's A1145. That means there are only 2 functional leads. The spec sheet says this device operates by varying current draw.

I've been to the Allegro Hall sensor page several times in the past few years and never paid any attention to the two wire components, because nothing I dealt with used them. 45E lead me there. I read the spec sheet it makes sense, and I believe that is the component we're dealing with. I mean, I don't think I'm so stupid that I can't read a spec sheet for such a simple component. I have been wrong before. I don't pretend to be an EE, but this doesn't require much thought other than how to identify this part. All we want to do is replace it.

If I'm incorrectly identifying this part, what is the proper method? What are the chances there is another hall sensor with this marking that is not A1145?

Last edited:
" I mean, I don't think I'm so stupid that I can't read a spec sheet for such a simple component. "

I hope I will never have such a bad opinion of myself:hDe:having to confince other people that I'm not stupid.I wont loose any other time to show you that they are not the only company that uses that code. It's like a 7014 everyone knows what it is BUT witch company we are talking about would be a wild gess:rolleyes:

... I've replaced or identified several hall sensor components by using the markings, seems to work.

I didn't had your luck :-o Tried several hall sensors with the same code i read on the original but none functioned. The best way is to have the real complete code or find an electronic geez that knows the business. My two pence​

Luc, I'm glad you offered a conclusive answer to the OP. I'm also glad you took the time to find a suitable way to identify and explain how you did so, this component 45E.

Sorry guys I'm out. My membership here is done.

I didn't had your luck :-o Tried several hall sensors with the same code i read on the original but none functioned. The best way is to have the real complete code or find an electronic geez that knows the business. My two pence​
Thanks for your input, I think is wan't apreciate by everyone but it is waht it is
cheers

Back