I NEVER Miss a Size!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
At work,every now and then an inspector might find a minor error
in my work.

At home I NEVER miss a size!
I might find it necessary to adjust the size on a mating piece
almost every day...
If it fits and works, it's all good! ;)

Rick

Rake,
Thats how I do it. Cut the cyl then the piston to fit. Works every time for me ;D
Tony

rake60 said:
I might find it necessary to adjust the size on a mating piece
almost every day...

Gosh, I thought that was the only way to mate bits. :eek: :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

A sign in a shop I worked in at one time read,
Fudge to Fit Paint to Match.
Regards,
Gerald.

Fudge to Fit Paint to Match.
SWEEEET - Now will that paint be chocolate or vanilla coloured ??? :big:
Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation ;D
Arnold

If you do the drawing AFTER you have made the part it will always be right.

JS.

Don't worry it's only short on one end. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Aww crap.... you made it just like I drew it!!

Steve

I never miss a size either. I hit every size from the raw material size all the way down to nothing! Lots and lots of chips! ;D

I made some electric motor parts a while ago. I hit the shrink fit for two bearings on the two aluminum parts just right. I ended up scrapping one in a later operation, and blew the fit when I made the new one because I wasn't paying attention. The 8 oz bottle of permatex retaining compound came in handy.

I always thought that was what Lock Tite was for. Cliff.

I especially never, ever, ever make something to within 0.0003" of the correct size....less 0.0250 because I messed up reading the micrometer!

John Stevenson said:
If you do the drawing AFTER you have made the part it will always be right.

JS.

Original print title What I'm Building. Final print title Look at The Cool Thing I Made.

There's the old one about a guy who goes for a job as a machinist, the boss asks him "are you used to working to tolerances of .001" or less?" the guy replies, "oh thats not good enough for us, it has to be SPOT ON!"

Giles

It's funny how you get used to using digital mics and callipers and for some even DROs, this last few days I picked up a job at work which despite being basic turning required finished diameters of 63, 55.5 and 39 mm to a tolerance of +0.00 -0.02

Most of the measuring eqpt at work is the old fangled (but always reliable) Moore and Wright adjustable anvil micrometers, so I was using 0-50 and 0-100 mm mics.

I had to re-learn turn of the mic, adding 25 or 50 to get the reading and the varying feel between the two mics to the standards after several years of being spoiled with direct reading gear in my home shop and working with smaller sizes. Only having enough of the material for one go meant being careful.

I always try to hit a specific dimension even when roughing as this helps to read the mic as I know what it was supposed to be, and only quick check is needed to ensure the thimble reads to the correct line. I also like this method as it allows you to gauge what DOC will work best for a nice finish with tipped tools as these often do not give shiny results with small finishing cuts.

Measure twice cut once as we all know, start with the bigger diameter and if it goes undersize make it the smaller diameter. Better an extra 15 minutes on the job than having to start from scratch.

I invariably make a male part first as it is easier to measure, then adjust the female to suit.

Latest posts

Back