Howell v twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geo

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the crankcase centre line dimension is correct 1.680 looks like it should be 1.670

Hey geo : Please post an intro tell us a bit about yourself.

Not familiar with that plan set. but you are talking a ten thousands of an inch difference. I would think that for a center line height should not matter a lot. Could be a cad rounding error. you could split the difference if you want.

Maybe someone with IC experience will comment on this.
Tin

Reactions: geo
Hi geo,

According to my Jerry Howell V twin plans the centre line is 1.680"

I can see your logic behind the figure of 1.670" because if you divide the overall height by 2 this number comes up.

Don't be fooled, when "the centre line" statement is used this does not always mean that it has to be in the centre of the part.

Although I personally have not made a start on this engine yet it has been made successfully plenty of times.

Jerry Howell was an extremely talented man, I am sure if you follow the plans exactly as they are there should be no issue.

Good luck and if you are underway with the build please post the progress.

Cheers,
Baz.

Reactions: geo
Thanks for the feed back I am an Aussie from Brisbane I decided about a month ago I would like to build a small I c engine bought a lathe( not real good) and a mill some plans and here we are. I have put the crank case aside until I make up my mind about the centre line also waiting on some tooling and a rotary table I have fabricated crank cover ( twice buggered the first one) started on the heads .Allen Howell has been very obliging and I can see that this site will be a life saver cheers

Speaking of Jerry Howell's Twin V ... anyone built one?

I'm making SW drawings and well ... have a few questions.
My search have not turn up any finds so far. Maybe someone build one but didn't
post progress.

I hope to start a build after a drawing review.

Thanks
Pat H

hi pat
jim niessink here.. fairly new member.. first post.
i'm a retired engineer/machinist in suttons bay, michigan.
i have built the howell v-twin and would be glad to help with questions if i can.
jim
[email protected]

Jim
Thanks .. will email you later today!:):)

Pat H.

Latest posts

Back