How would i machine this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
student_Machinist said:
I see what you mean with the loading and it would be better if was oriented in a Y position with the two bearing on the top but i cant think of an easy way to do it, any ides?
turn it upside down?

Chaffe said:
turn it upside down?

True lol but theres not really a nice way of having a mounting bracket on the underside and it need the adjustable bearing on the bottom so i wouldn't be carrying so much load

You could try 2"x1" Bar

mill two passes flat (cut 1 and 2)
then clamp in V blocks and mill cut 3 and cut 4
tap and thread the block for top ball/roller bearings

mount adjustable bearing on the eccentric underneath

th_linearbearing.jpg

Bez

bezalel2000 said:
You could try 2"x1" Bar

mill two passes flat (cut 1 and 2)
then clamp in V blocks and mill cut 3 and cut 4
tap and thread the block for top ball/roller bearings

mount adjustable bearing on the eccentric underneath

th_linearbearing.jpg

Bez

Lol thats almost exactly the design i was thinking of ;D What do think of this? btw it will have an adjustable cam on the bottom bearing i just havent drawn it yet

lin2.png

lin.png

That design looks better, with a 12mm guide rail those top bearings will need to be staggered so the axles can have some depth in the upper surface of the carrier. (just a thought) Using my eyeball scale, those bearing would be 7-8mm D, with a 3mm axle. Is that enough for the load + forces you expect to see.

MachineTom said:
That design looks better, with a 12mm guide rail those top bearings will need to be staggered so the axles can have some depth in the upper surface of the carrier. (just a thought) Using my eyeball scale, those bearing would be 7-8mm D, with a 3mm axle. Is that enough for the load + forces you expect to see.

Yea thats not a bad idea, it wont be taking much load tho so it shouldn't mater too much. The dimensions i have been using are 5mmID x 10mmOD x 4mm bearings with a 0.5mm spacer, 12mm x 330mm shaft and total length of the slide is 100mm.
Do you have any idea where i could get shim washers to space the bearings off the block?

Back