How to store your mill tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksor

Reaction score
I want to store my mill tools up against a wall. Would you like to share some ideas and maybe pictures with me ?

ksor said:
I want to store my mill tools up against a wall. Would you like to share some ideas and maybe pictures with me ?
:eek: The best way for me. a 5 cm by 5cm by convenient length foryou.

Make a couple of square, or drill the ends if you can mount on the wall, or side of a shelf.

drill holes of different depth, an just mount them,The advatage you can mark the size of the

cutter in the front, and you notice when one is missing.

all the best.

ferdie said:
:eek: The best way for me is a piece of timber, a 5 cm by 5cm by convenient length for you.

I bevel mine so i can see the face, with the diameter in front of each.

Make a couple of square, or drill the ends if you can mount on the wall, or side of a shelf.

drill holes of different depth, an just mount them,The advantage you can mark the size of the

cutter in the front, and you notice when one is missing.

all the best.

Made this up about 5 years ago using some rough/scrap plywood from an old packing case.
It's a couple of feet behind me when I'm using the Bridgy, and pretty much perfect for me.

Collet_Rack.jpg

Collet_Rack2.jpg

Peter

Thanks - I think I´ll try to evolve this and check it out - thanks again !

PhillyVa said:
42 and still think'n with the little one Rof} :-*

Philly
diversity is the spice of life.
If tooling excites you that's ok too

Aw, man... I didn't notice the calendar until you mentioned it. Guess I'm getting old. :-\

This is the RHS of my mill, almost everything that is needed can be squeezed into a few holes, and a few tacks along the edge take care of most other bits. Small cutters up to 10mm are in the rack at the bottom.

Shop14.jpg

The LHS where all bits that are not used as often are situated, R8 collets, larger cutters etc. This area is still not finished, since this was taken, more shelves have been fitted around the back of the mill.

rack.jpg

Blogs

Just a general observation on home shops and tool storage. Why must it be out, unprotected and as if on display? I don't use my mill or lathe 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Other than the wrenches used for adjustment, etc., I prefer most of my tooling to be in drawers or cabinets, protected from dust, moisture and the possibility of being knocked onto the floor. Even the collet tray mounted on the back of a Bridgeport, collects stray chips. Take the tooling out, use it, remove it, wipe it clean, return it to safe storage.

reggie98 said:
Just a general observation on home shops and tool storage. Why must it be out, unprotected and as if on display? I don't use my mill or lathe 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Other than the wrenches used for adjustment, etc., I prefer most of my tooling to be in drawers or cabinets, protected from dust, moisture and the possibility of being knocked onto the floor. Even the collet tray mounted on the back of a Bridgeport, collects stray chips. Take the tooling out, use it, remove it, wipe it clean, return it to safe storage.

We all have different ways of organising or disorganising our shops and work in our comfort zone. IMHO there is no right or wrong way just your way.

Let's not start a diatribe of my way or the highway.

Best Regards
Bob

ferdie! Welcome to the forum.
Go to the Welcome thread and introduce yourself.
Everyone would like to know more about you.

I would just like to answer Reggie98's query.

If you have a large workshop, then fine, use roll around trolleys etc. But when you have limited floor space (and I definitely do) then the only way to store the tooling is on vertical floors (the walls).

When you do spend a lot of time in the shop, having the tool to hand can save enormous amounts of time and effort. I have to work using a high stool on castors, the old legs gave way recently (mine, not the stool's), and just by scooting 12" from my normal machining position, I have exactly the right tool I want at my fingertips. That is the system I use, tools that are used on the lathe tailstock go on a rack within very easy reach at the back of the tailstock, the same for the headstock. Without doing it that way, I just couldn't work in my shop for any length of time, I would be worn out before the job was finished.

I do have the luxury of one 3ft wide kitchen cabinet (it doubles up as a workbench), and that is reserved for my precision tooling, the tooling is brought out at the beginning of a job and replaced when finished.

As Bob says,

We all have different ways of organising or disorganising our shops and work in our comfort zone.

Blogs

Blogwitch said:
This is the RHS of my mill, almost everything that is needed can be squeezed into a few holes, and a few tacks along the edge take care of most other bits. Small cutters up to 10mm are in the rack at the bottom.

Shop14.jpg

Blogs

Two things in this shot of note

Fire Extinguisher The ONE item every shop should have

Your right handed,

Robert

Maryak said:
We all have different ways of organising or disorganising our shops and work in our comfort zone. IMHO there is no right or wrong way just your way.

Let's not start a diatribe of my way or the highway.

Best Regards
Bob
That certainly wasn't my intention. Like I said, an observation. It has just as much bearing in a home shop as it does in a production shop. I was hoping that my comment about swarf and dirt collecting on the tooling, might generate some real discussion about the subject. It's why some R8 collet racks have a flip down lid, to keep the tooling clean. There are better ways, no need to moderate this topic into oblivion.

I'll second what Blogs said.
I don't have a leg problem (yet!), but I can turn around and reach 2 feet behind me and get the tool I want.
Reamers and milling cutters are a different proposition however, and always get popped back in their plastic case after a clean, to protect the cutting edges.
End mills occasionally get left in the collet on the rack for use again shortly.

Peter

(Edited after my slap on the wrist.)

The goal of this forum is to share ideas. Show us what works for you . If you like something tell others. If you do do not like an ideas do not use it but there is no need to put down others ideas.
Tin

Foozer,

You are nearly right, most of the heavy stuff is to the left, I'm a bit clapped out, so not only have the legs gone, but almost the right arm as well.

With reference to the fire extinguisher. The ideal is to have two, one at the bottom of the shop and one near the door as I have it. But if you only have one, near the door is best. If you are inside, you get to the door and out, and if it is safe to do so, come back in to put the flames out, the extinguisher is so that you have it to hand as you enter.

It is always best if you have an emergency way out as well. It is all well and good having security bars on all windows, but what happens when you are trapped inside and can't get to your normal exit. Maybe make them so that they can be broken free from the inside, snatch out pins come to mind.

Also you should look at a fire blanket, so that you can wrap it around yourself to make your getaway. Those precious few seconds can make all the difference.

Safety should always be a priority when it comes to a choice between buying tooling and safety equipment.

I just wonder how many people have said it would never happen to them.

The boneyards are full of 'em.

Blogs

I found that a little 20 gauge sheet metal, plasma cutter, brake, and a spot welder make tool storage pretty simple. :big:
toolholders001.jpg

toolholders002.jpg

Latest posts

Back