How to remove bit of steel from die

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Trying to get the maximum amount of thread while making a 2mm screw from mild steel I inadvertantly hit the shoulder of the screw blank and the threaded portion broke off inside the die. I now have a small (about 3 to 4mm) length stuck in the split die with no part protruding.

Any suggestions how to remove it please?

I've done that myself.
I chucked the die up in the lathe and very carefully center drilled broken stock.
Then I put a drill bit .030" under the root diameter of the thread in the tail stock chuck.
It only made it about half way through when the bit grabbed. The ramaining
stock twisted on through with no damage to the die.
The drill bit didn't fair so well but bits are much less expensive than dies.

Rick

Paul,
I use a jewelers saw. Thread the blade through one hole in the die and saw through to another hole. Quicker than loosening and then readjusting the die.
Gail in NM,USA

Gail, while that sounds like a plan I've got two problems with it.... I don't have a jewellers saw and if I did I'm not convinced I could use it (or even see it!) that accurately :-\ I'll certainly keep that in mind for larger dies though - many thanks.

Rick, that was my first thought (well just the regular drill not the centre drill first) but not sure if squeezing it in the 3 jaw would somehow make the cutting bits off-centre and therefore liable to damage from the drill?

Another idea I had that I've used on hex socket grub screws that have become 'blurred' is to super-glue a small hex wrench to it and wind it out. If it didn't work there wouldn't be any lasting damage I suppose....

Tried drilling it out in the lathe from both sides - didn't work as the drill wandered off centre (centre drilled then used a 1.3mm drill). Each time I could hear and feel the moment when the drill touched the HSS die - the bit was deflected away and seemed to cause no damage.

Suddenyl remembered that I'd bought a coping saw about 18 months ago and never used it! Whipped it out and promptly sawed out the offending piece!! I actually sawed part-way through from two different directions to minimize the change of hitting the cutting edges of the die (what are they called??).

The 'rescue' didn't seem to have any negative impact as I used it to make two new screws straight away and both were fine.

Thanks Rick and thanks Gail - that's saved me about £10 ($10 I guess) :D

Back