How important is a mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lazylathe said:
What i do know is that everytime i remove the headstock or use it to turn angles i end up rechecking everything to ensure it is as aligned as i can get it with my limited knowledge.
What i am trying to avoid is having to do this everytime i need to mill something, if i was to get an attachment i would have to reset and check evrything evrytime i changed.

Lazylathe, the kind of milling attachment I think most people here are talking about is a unit that mounts directly to the lathe cross slide, and you don't have to disturb your head stock at all. I know the type that Sherline offers, but you can adapt other types to your lathe easily.

This is one I made for my Taig, using their compound slide accessory, ($45) and an angle block, (about $10):

finished.jpg

I have a "how-to" write up on it at the following link:

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/millingattachment.html

You can also get an accessory vise for it, like the one from Taig or Sherline, to make your work holding a little easier.

The whole point is, you don't have to remove the head stock from your lathe. Just bolt this rig onto the cross slide and use collets or end mill holders in the spindle, and you're ready to mill away. This is the type of set up that has been used for milling on the lathe for 100 years on lathes like Myford, South Bend, et al.

Dean

Here is the milling attachment for the Taig from Little Machine Shop that already has the mount and does not need the angle plate.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1956&category=1

I have used it on both my 7x10 and 12" Atlas. I bolt it directly to the compound on the Atlas. The 7x10 requires removing the compound and making an adapter to mount the attachment.

Dean: nice job on your milling attachment.

I have one of these too, and I thought about putting that one up, Blackvette, but it uses Taig T-slot spacing, which is different from Sherline's spacing. I'm not sure if it will fit the Sherline, but I would think it could be adapted to it, as you say.

Dean

I think the guys have put forward the pro's and con's admirably ......... :bow: it really boils down to what you want to do. If you are working in small scale with mainly non ferrous metals then a small attachment / small mill will work well, if your going to tackle bigger projects and work more with mild and stainless steel then a bigger mill will make life a lot easier and more enjoyable imho.

hth

CC

Latest posts

Back